Occasional Visitor

Multipoint capable of IP-to-ISDN?

In a situation where my organization would be running an HDX 8000 and utilizing Global Video Services (therefore being IP Based), would we still need a bridge such as an RMX to reach an external ISDN network for a conference? Or will integrated Multipoint actually cover IP-to-ISDN communications? I'm still rather unclear on what Multipoint actually is.

Thank you in advance.

Valued Contributor

Re: Multipoint capable of IP-to-ISDN?

Multipoint capability in an HDX means the video unit supports hosting multiple connections to other video endpoints in a conference call.  Those endpoints can be whatever network connections are supported/configured by the HDX and its local network.

For the HDX to connect to an ISDN site an IP/ISDN gateway is needed.  If you do a simple search of 'polycom hdx 8000 isdn' you will find numerous documents/discussions of what is available.

JoeV
Honored Contributor

Re: Multipoint capable of IP-to-ISDN?

With optional network module (QuadBRI or PRI) HDX 8000 support calls through ISDN network (Rec. ITU-T H.320).

With optional MPPlus license HDX 8000 can host mixed IP (H.323, SIP) and ISDN (H.320) multipoint conference.

WBR,
Mike
--------------------------------------------
“Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns- the ones we don't know we don't know.”
― Donald Rumsfeld