Occasional Visitor

Incoming call on gateway IP

We've had a situation pop-up when a video call is happening between two internal sites, where an incoming call window will pop-up (4-8 times in a 2 hour meeting), that incoming call is listed as the gateway IP. We've create a DMZ subnet for video conferencing/calls that allows outside calls, nothing blocked. Obviously this message is concerning as it could be an outside threat trying to gain access into our network. So my questions are: has anyone experienced this? Is it a bug in the equipment software or should it be viewed as an infiltration attack? Is there a way to configure access so that outside calls can be accepted without risking infiltration? Currently the meeting attendees just decline the call attempt. 

As I mentioned this seems to only happen when the video calls are between two internal sites. The equipment on one site is a Soundstation 2 with a module connecting to both the wall jack and Soundstation 2. The equipment ont the other sides is a Soundstation Premier, with no module. 

I have part and serial numbers of each unit, but unfortunately I can't provide software revs at this time. I'm a networking engineer brought into this because of the incoming gateway call, not the person who maintains the rev levels on the devices themselves.

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Incoming call on gateway IP

Hello JenniMcW,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I am unsue how the SoundStations would have anything to do with any messages on the screens as they are both analog Phones that would have no real connection to a codec.

In addition it would be usefull to know what Video codecs we are discussing here.

A wireshark trace from a spanned port should show you what IP address the call is coming from and also if this is a SIP call or a H.323.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.