Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi

We've just purchased a new SoundStation Duo conference phone which has been hooked up via a PSTN connection. When making calls the phone appears to make a pulsing noise from its speaker when off hook and we're not sure why?

If we make a call, we hear the person at the far end with the pulsing in full effect. The person at the far end hears us talking via the conference phone clearly though.

We've connected an analogue phone and a fax machine to the same line both of which work fine with no pulsing noise when off hook.

Unfortunately I am not able to try another conference phone connected to the same line.

I've attached an MP3 showing the pulsing noise when off hook and dialling our voicemail system as a test.

If the PSTN connection is removed leaving just an ethernet cable to power the phone, taking the phone off hook gives a solid dial tone as expected but just says "SIP" on the display which we aren't using here. The problem seems to be exclusively when the phone is connected to the PSTN line.

Phone details:

Model: SoundStation Duo

Assembly: 3111-19000-001 Rev:F

S/N: 0004f2f4487b

BootBlock: 3.0.2.0024 (19000-001)

Updater: 5.0.1.10553

Is this a fault with the unit?

Thanks

Keith

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello napy2,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

The Details provided below do not tell us the real UC Software version.

Therefore the Polycom VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Question: How can I find out my SIP UC Software Version or the BootROM Version of my Phone?
Resolution: Please check here

I suggest upgrading the device to the latest currently supported UC Software 4.0.9 as explained here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

The recording sounds like an earth or phase issue as in comparison with a traditional Fax machine the SoundStation Duo may in addition also connected to a network port where the switch may be powered of a different phase.

• Are you using the official PIM adapter that comes with the phone?

• Did you setup the phone accordingly to the country you are using it in aka setup from factory default and chose the right country?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for replying Steffen

The phone says:

Label: SIP

Version: 4.0.2.8017

Yes I am using the official PIM adaptor. I've also tried removing this from the equation to elimate it as the problem by plugging a POE cable straight into the phone for power and an RJ11 straight into the phone and into the wall but the same problem still occurs.

Yes the phone is set up as according to the country (UK).

Running some more tests I've managed to connect the phone into a telephone port of a DSL filter on a separate line used for internet access and the problem goes away.

The problem therefore only occurs when the phone is connected to an analogue port in our phone system (Avaya Aura Communication Manager). I'm not sure whether this is now an incompatibility between the phone and the Avaya system or just a misconfig in the analogue ports on the system but we have used Polycom conference phones in the analogue ports before without any issues so I don't know why this particular model is a problem?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello napy2,

I think there was an issue with Avaya analog cards in the past so I would recommend to upgrade the software as the fix I check was only added in UC Software 4.0.4 or later.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen

Thank you for you're advice, I tried updating the phones software to 4.0.9.0509 which has resolved the problem.

Keith

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.