luriep

Another big step for open standards

by Polycom Employee luriep ‎10-30-2013 09:30 AM - edited ‎10-30-2013 09:41 AM (2,375 Views)

ae-natarajan.jpgGuest blog post by A.E. Natarajan, Executive Vice President of Worldwide Engineering at Polycom:

Polycom has been and always will be a leader and strong advocate for open standards in the UC industry. We are a founding member of the OVCC, and continually drive for open standards with other companies across the industry.  One year ago this month, Polycom licensed the first open standards-based SVC implementation royalty free to the industry, including the Unified Communications Interoperability Forum (UCI Forum), to ensure adoption and industry-wide interoperability. Around the same time, industry analyst firm Forrester Research gave Polycom top scores in, among other areas, our strategy, largely because of our product roadmap and particular strengths in the categories of “UC integration” and interoperability.

Polycom applauds Cisco for taking similar steps today in making the H.264 codec freely available.  We believe that this will help ensure industry interoperability between new technologies, such as WebRTC, and existing video codecs and signaling, which is critical to protecting customer investments and broadening adoption and usage of video. Continuing with H.264, and eventually H.265, as the standard versions of video codecs is in the best interest of users of real-time and streamed video, the vendor ecosystem that serves them, and our industry. 

Comments
by Polycom Employee luriep on ‎10-30-2013 11:29 AM

My personal thought on this Cisco announcement are on my personal blog: 

Free is good. Innovation and interoperability are imperatives. It's still the user experience that matters

http://luriep.blogspot.com/2013/10/cisco-releases-h264-royalty-free-does.html

About the Author
  • An evangelist for technology used in music and entertainment. I enjoy being able to bring people together be it a band with their fans to colleagues discussing a big project. A Chicago native and living in Austin, Texas since 1997, you will find me with a camera and recorder capturing and streaming almost any sort of event in Austin. I have traveled all over the world, but my favorite location is anywhere with a nice beach, my wife Carol next to me and a boat drink in hand!
  • Expert in content, collaboration and media, with over a decade of industry experience ranging from HP to ITV in London. MBA from Emory University; BA in Journalism from UGA. Traveled to 40 countries on 5 continents.
  • Over 20 years of experience in the video collaboration, telecommunications and wireless industries. Responsible for marketing Polycom’s industry-leading Video and Voice endpoints business.
  • Jeff is a Polycom Solutions Architect focused on helping customers integrate Polycom video conferencing solutions and UC endpoints with Microsoft OCS and Lync environments. His pubic contributions include TechNet forum participation and moderation, writing technical blog articles and white papers, presenting on UC topics to virtual users groups online, and representing Microsoft at TechEd and other public conferences.
  • I specialize in helping organizations find ways to improve communication and collaboration. Not just with technology, but also with the plans, policies and procedures to make collaboration effective and show strong ROI.
  • Head of global communications at Polycom. Bay Area-based marketing and communications executive at the crossroads of storytelling, social, digital and data. Views, opinions and comments shared here are mine. More info: linkd.in/11TPmeQ
  • Ted has been in the field of computer and Internet security for 25 years. He is Polycom’s Security Product Manager.
  • I'm a Polycom UC Solutions Architect with 9 years of experience in IT Technical Sales for the B2B market (both small medium businesses and large accounts). I have broad experience in all aspects of collaboration, social networking and unified communications.
Announcements
Welcome to the Polycom Techie Blog! Please feel free to comment on our articles!