cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FAQ] Skype for Business frequently asked questions

Polycom Employee & Community Manager

[FAQ] Skype for Business frequently asked questions

• This is a quick overview of the most common asked questions in regards Skype for Business and the full VoIP FAQ can be found => here <=

• This Section will be updated from time to time.

• The Polycom Community is not a replacement for Polycom Global Services Support and you may be asked to contact your Reseller or if outside warranty to work with Polycom Support via PPI (Pay Per Incident)

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

NOTE:

Please ensure before posting any new Question in the Community that you:

NOTE: Please ensure to consult the Admin Guide as commands provided may very depending on the UC Software Version

Dec 6, 2011 Question: What Phone Models support the LYNC 2010, LYNC 2013, Microsoft Office365 and Skype for Business Online?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Dec 14, 2011 Question: Where can I find the Software for the Polycom CX Phone range?

Jul 11, 2014 Question: Why can we not sign into LYNC via Pin & Extension?

Resolution: Please verify that the phone has the => correct time <= and the Option 43 and Option 120 is setup in the DHCP scope as explained =>here <= or => here <= 

Jul 11, 2014 Question: Since upgrading to UCS 5.1.1 BToE is no longer active

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Jul 11, 2014 Question: Since upgrading to UCS 5.1.1 or later and running LYNC base profile I can no longer access the Web Interface

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Oct 7, 2011 Question: I get the error Message “Could not contact boot server” on my phones screen

Oct 10, 2011 Question: I get the error Message "error loading 00xxxxxxxxxx.cfg" and then Phone continues to reboot

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I find out the IP Address of my Phone?

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the Standard Username and Password for a Polycom Phone?

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I find out my UC Software Version or the Updater Version of my Phone?

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What UC Software Version or Updater Version is supported by my Phone?

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I change the Menu Language of my Phone?

Oct 7, 2011 Question: Do I always need a Provisioning Server or can I configure a Phone via the Web Interface or via the Phone Gui?

Jul 11, 2014 Question: What is the warning indication / triangle that shows on the phone since UCS 5.1.1?

Jul 11, 2014 Question: How can I display my phone Extension rather than the Username using LYNC?

Sep 30 2014 Question:Can I sign into LYNC using the Web Interface?

Apr 01, 2015 Question: How can I turn a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone into a Common Area Phone?

Jun 05, 2015 Question:Why does the LYNC Base Profile orderable SKU no longer look for DHCP Option 160?

ResolutionIn order to ensure backwards compatibility a new Option 161 was added for the LYNC Base profile

Aug 25, 2015 Question:How can I add a LYNC Favorite to the Phone or Expansion module?

Resolution: Please check this post => here <=

Sep 03, 2015 Question:Why is my VVX Phone displaying a icon next to Line Name when in LYNC mode?

Jul 14, 2015 Question:Utilizing Pin & Extension Sign in without DHCP Server Option 43 support?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Jul 07, 2015 Question:Unable to display more than 12 Search results from a Lync Server address book service contact search?

Resolution: Utilize the feature.lync.abs.maxResult Parameter for a minimum of 5 or a maximum of 50.

Jul 07, 2015 Question:Does a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone in LYNC base profile support Reverse Name Lookup (RNL)?

Resolution: The Polycom VVX Business Media Phone in LYNC base, unlike the optimized for LYNC CX Phones, currently do not support this feature

Sep 22, 2015 Question:How to gather logs from a CX5500 unit?

Dec 04, 2015 Question:How can I provision the RealPresence Trio 8800 and/or Visual+?

Jan 04, 2016 Question:How do I upgrade a CX5500 unit?

Jan 04, 2016 Question: Can I change / re-assign the appearance of  a Line and / or Presence Keys?

Jan 08, 2016 Question:Can I use the Paper Expansion Module with LYNC / Skype for Business ?

Resolution: The VVX Paper Expansion Module does not support Microsoft® Lync® / Office365® / Skype® for Business

Jan 25, 2016 Question:How many Lines can I register using Polycom phones with Lync Server / Skype for Business server ?

Resolution: You can register only one line when LYNC / Skype for Business  is set as the base profile on the phone.  The Polycom Trio platform has a hybrid feature for 3 different lines. The first one must be Skype for Business / Office 365

Jan 26, 2016 Question:Can I make Video Calls between a VVX phone and a Client on a Lync Server / Skype for Business server ?

Resolution: Please check => here <= for details on Video Calls

Jan 26, 2016 Question:Can I troubleshoot BToE or changes settings ?

Resolution: Please check => here <= for details

Jan 27, 2016 Question:Why do I receive a missed call email notification using a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone ?

Jan 27, 2016 Question:Are there any firewall ports required to be open when using BToE ?

Feb 01, 2016 Question:Why am I unable to disable the call forwarding softkey on a Polycom VVX Business media Phone since upgrading to UC Software 5.4.0 or later?

Resolution:When using a Polycom VVX Business media Phone running UC Software 5.4.0 or later in LYNC Base profile the Skype for Business / LYNC Voice Routing => Voice Policy takes precedence over the softkey.feature.forward=”0” parameter. Either creating a new Voice Policy for these phones or removing the “Enable call forwarding” and/or “Enable simultaneous ringing of phones” will disable the key.

Feb 02, 2016 Question:How can I prevent a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone to be downgraded / upgraded automatically via Skype for Business and/or Office365?

Resolution:Download, unpack and import the attached lyncDeviceUpdateEnabledOFF.zip

Feb 16, 2016 Question:What type of content sharing experience should I expect of the RealPresence Visual+?

Resolution:

The performance of the RealPresence Trio content sharing over Microsoft Lync or Skype for Business is designed for static and semi-static content such as PowerPoint, Excel documents, standard PDF, etc. The content is limited to a maximum of 5 frames per second (fps). A low framerate will cause content sharing of full motion video, quick screen refresh, fast scrolling and quick mouse movement to appear choppy and slow. Content sharing performance of the RealPresence Trio is on par with that of the receiving Microsoft Lync or Skype for Business desktop client.

Mar 03, 2016 Question:Unable to establish a Video Call or Content between a Lync for Mac 2011 client and a Polycom RealPresence Trio 8800 Visual+

Resolution:The Lync for Mac 2011 client supports only RTV and not xh264uc. There are no plans for the Polycom RealPresence Trio 8800 Visual+ to support the RTV codec and Microsoft is working on a new Lync for Mac client which should add SVC support. Please contact Microsoft for more details

Mar 30, 2016 Question:Can I enable the Web Interface on a Polycom RealPresence Trio 8800?

Mar 30, 2016 Question: How can I pair a RealPresence Visual+ with a RealPresence Trio 8800?

Apr 1, 2016 Question: Can a RealPresence Visual+ / RealPresence Trio 8800 receive PowerPoint Files and/or Whiteboard?

Resolution: This is at present not supported.

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
3 REPLIES
Highlighted

Re: [FAQ] Skype for Business frequently asked questions

Apr 5, 2016 Question:Can I customize the LYNC / Skype for Business sign in and out options on a Polycom RealPresence Trio 8800?

Resolution: Please check => here <= for details.

Apr 5, 2016 Question:Can I remove the Polycom Logo from a RealPresence Visual+ connected to a RealPresence Trio 8800?

Apr 5, 2016 Question:Can I customize the Home Screen on a Polycom RealPresence Trio 8800?

Apr 5, 2016 Question:Can I customize the background Picture of a Polycom RealPresence Visual+ connected to a Polycom RealPresence Trio 8800?

Apr 22, 2016 Question:Why am I being asked to contact my Polycom reseller for further support?

Apr 22, 2016 Question:Why am I being asked to to provide my products MAC address?

Resolution: Polycom only sells to qualified resellers and these may sell via dealers who may not be trained on these products. In order to identify the reseller the unit was sold via we need the MAC address to provide their details so they can open a support ticket as explained => here <= 

May 02, 2016 Question:Determine the LYNC / Skype for Business status via the Real Presence Trio or a Polycom VVX Business Media phone Web Interface?

Resolution:Browse to the Phones Web Address and after identifying as the Admin User browse to Diagnostics > Lync Status

LyncStatus.PNG

Jun 02, 2016 Question:How can I disable the LYNC / Skype lock Policies for Polycom phones?

Resolution: Please check => here <= 

Jun 15, 2016 Question:Can I use UC Software 5.5.0 for Lync or Skype for Business deployments?

Resolution:UC Software 5.5.0 has not been qualified by Microsoft to use in Lync or Skype for Business deployments. Polycom will not support UC Software 5.5.0 use in Lync or Skype for Business deployments. UC Software 5.5.1 or any later Version is Microsoft qualified

Jun 15, 2016 Question:Unable to receive content from a Skype for Business 2016 client

Resolution:The RealPresence Trio 8800 does currently not support VBSS. please check => here <= as a workaround

Jun 25, 2016 Question:Can a Polycom VVX Business Media Phone or a RealPresence Trio enable Simultaneous Ring via the Phone GUI?

Resolution:No the Polycom VVX Business Media Phone or a RealPresence Trio  cannot enable or assign Delegates or Boss-Admin and a Lync or Skype for Business Client is required to assign this. Please check the “Using Polycom® VVX® Phones in a Microsoft® Lync™ Environment Quick User” Guide

Jul 07, 2016 Question:How many lines does the Real Presence Trio or the VVX Business Media Phones support?

Resolution:The Real Presence Trio or the VVX Business Media Phones only allow one line to be registered when registered to a Lync / Skype for Business Server.

Jul 13, 2016 Question:How do I sign into an O365 account?

Resolution:Please check => here <=

Aug 10, 2016 Question:Why does the Trio 8800 not displaying Meeting Subject if using a Room Account?

Resolution:Please check => here <=

Sep 20, 2016 Question:Does the Polycom RealPresence Visual+ require to be set into Lync Base Profile?

Resolution:There is no need to change any setting on the Visual+ as all relevant configuration changes are controlled by the Trio itself.

Jan 04, 2017 Question:Can I change the Theme into Classic on a Phone running the Skype for Business Base Profile and UC Software 5.5.1 or later?

Resolution: No you cannot change this.

Jan 17, 2017 Question:How can I troubleshoot simple Skype for Business, LYNC or Office365 issues?

Resolution: Have a look => here <=

Jan 27, 2017 Question:What Mac OS Versions are supported by the CX5100 or CX5500?

Resolution: Software 1.3.0 supports

OS X 10.12 Sierra (Fuji)
OS X 0.11 El Capitan (Gala)
OS X 0.10 Yosemite (Syrah)
OS X 10.9 Mavericks (Cabernet)

Feb 02, 2017 Question:Can I select what details the RealPresence Trio removes from a Private Meeting?

Feb 13, 2017 Question:Why am I receiving a "Hold Failed. Moving back to call" Message and am unable to transfer or hold a call?

Jan 26, 2016 Question:Do I require a License to use Polycom VVX Business Media Phones with a Lync Server / Skype for Business server ?

License requirements for Polycom VVX Business Media Phones not using a Lync / Skype for Business SKU:

Please be aware of the following License requirement:

The use of Polycom UC Software versions 4.1.X (“Software”) requires the purchase of a separate Software license for every device that will use the Software in a Lync environment. You may not install, access, or use the Software in a Lync environment on more devices than are listed on your license until additional licenses have been purchased and authorized by Polycom. These licenses should be purchased from the same company from which you purchased the devices. You may operate devices against a Lync server for trial purposes for up to 30 days without purchasing a license. Use of the Software is subject to the terms and conditions of the End User License Agreement. 

Polycom reserves the right to audit your deployment to verify that you have sufficient licenses to match the number of devices being used.

5150-49252-001 SW,LIC,LYNC ENTERPRISE IND PHONE
5150-49253-001 SW,LIC,LYNC ENTERPRISE SITE (5 UNITS)
5150-49254-001 SW,LIC,LYNC ENTERPRISE SITE (10 UNITS)
5150-49255-001 SW,LIC,LYNC ENTERPRISE SITE (100 UNITS)
5150-49256-001 SW,LIC,LYNC ENTERPRISE SITE (1000 UNITS)
5150-49257-001 SW,LIC,LYNC ENTERPRISE SITE (10000 UNITS)

Polycom Phones in LYNC Base Profile:

2200-44500-018 Microsoft Lync edition VVX 500 12-line Business Media Phone with HD Voice and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE. Ships without power supply.
2200-46161-018 Microsoft Lync edition VVX 310 6-line Desktop Phone Gigabit Ethernet with HD Voice and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE. Ships without power supply.
2200-46135-018 Microsoft Lync edition VVX 300 6-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE. Ships without power supply.
2200-46157-018 Microsoft Lync edition VVX 400 12-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE. Ships without power supply.
2200-46162-018 Microsoft Lync edition VVX 410 12-line Desktop Phone Gigabit Ethernet with HD Voice and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE. Ships without power supply.
2200-44600-018 Microsoft Lync edition VVX 600 16-line Business Media Phone with built-in Bluetooth, HD Voice and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE. Ships without power supply.
2200-40450-018

Microsoft Lync Edition VVX 201 2-line Desktop Phone with dual 10/100 Ethernet ports and Polycom UCS Lync License. PoE only. Ships without power supply.

Polycom Phones Skype for Business :

Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 201 2-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, dual 10/100 Ethernet ports and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-40450-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 300 6-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, dual 10/100 Ethernet ports and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-46135-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 310 6-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, GigE and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-46161-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 400 12-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, dual 10/100 Ethernet ports, HD Voice and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-46157-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 410 12-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, GigE and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-46162-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 500 12-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, GigE and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-44500-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition VVX 600 16-line Desktop Phone with HD Voice, GigE and Polycom UCS SfB/Lync License. Ships without power supply. 2200-44600-019
Microsoft Skype for Business/Lync edition RealPresence Trio 8800 IP conf. phone with Polycom UCS Lync License, built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC. 802.af/at PoE. WITHOUT POWER SUPPLY. Incl. 7.6m/25ft Ethernet cable, 1.8m/6ft USB cable and Setup Sheet 2200-66070-018
Microsoft Skype for Business/O365/Lync Edition RealPresence Trio 8800 IP conf. phone with Polycom UCS SfB License, built-in Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and NFC. 802.af/at PoE. WITHOUT POWER SUPPLY. Incl. 7.6m/25ft Ethernet cable, 1.8m/6ft USB cable and Setup Sheet 2200-66070-019
Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Message 2 of 4

Changing the Base Profile to LYNC / Skype for Business:

• Press Settings or Menu Key and then Settings
    Trio_01.PNGVVX_01.PNG

• Select Advanced
    Trio_02.PNGVVX_02.PNG

• Enter the Password (Factory default 456)

Trio_03.PNGVVX_03.PNG

• Select Administration Settings

Trio_04.PNGVVX_04.PNG

• Select Network Configuration

Trio_05.PNGVVX_05.PNG

• Scroll down and change the Base Profile to Lync / Skype for Business

Trio_06.PNGVVX_06.PNG

The Phone will reboot and the Web Interface will be disabled. To activate the Web Interface please check => here <=

Option 2 for VVX Phones:

To set the Base Profile to Lync using the multi-key combo shortcut:

1. Press the phone’s Home/Menu key.

2. From the idle screen, press and hold the following key combination on the phone keypad for about 3 seconds. These multi-key combo (MKC) keys vary by phone.

3. Polycom SoundPoint IP 550, 560, and 650 desktop phones: 5, 7, 8, *

4. VVX 300, 310, 400, and 410 business media phones: 1, 4, 9

5. VVX 500 and 600 business media phones: 1, 4, 9

6. VVX 1500 business media phones: 1, 4, 9

7. SoundPoint IP 321, 331, 335, 450 desktop phones; SoundStation 5000, SoundStation Duo conference phones: 1, 2, 4, 5

8. Pressing and holding the MKC keys causes the Base Profile Password menu to display.

9. In the Base Profile Password screen, enter the password (default 456) and press Enter.

LyncBaseProfile_01.PNG

10. In the Base Profile menu, select Lync.

LyncBaseProfile_02.PNG

The Phone will reboot and the Web Interface will be disabled. To activate the Web Interface please check => here <=

Please be aware:

Message 3 of 4

Feb 15, 2017 Question:What is a Skype for Business / LYNC SKU / Stock Keeping Unit?

Resolution: Have a look => here <= or check the License requirement described above => here <=

Mar 22, 2017 Question:Can I pair a Polycom D60 with a Phone in Skype for Business / LYNC base profile?

Resolution: No this is not possible.

Apr 06, 2017 Question:Polycom VVX Business Media Phone and RealPresence Trio unable to add Favourites from Skype for Business or LYNC

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Apr 21, 2017 Question:Can I arrange my Skype for Business Favorites alphabetically on my Phone?

Apr 21, 2017 Question:Can I call a Voice Mail directly of a Skype for Business contact?

Apr 21, 2017 Question:Where can I find a full list of parameters that are supported by Polycom VVX phones in a QoE report?

Resolution: Please check page 66 => here <=

May 18, 2017 Question:Unable to answer a call on a SLA / Shared Line Appearance by simply lifting the handset?

Resolution: The factory default ringer for a SLA is the silent ring as explained => here <=

Jul 31, 2017 Question:How can I prevent a Polycom VVX Phone or a RealPresence Trio to accept some settings automatically via Skype for Business and/or Office365?

Resolution: Please check this post => here <=

Aug 01, 2017 Question:Why am I unable to activate BToE using a VVX phone and Skype for Business Online?

Resolution: Some parameters are provisioned via Skype for Business online as explained in this post => here <=

Sep 04, 2017 Question:Does a SoundStation or SoundPoint IP support Skype for Business Online aka O365?

Resolution: As explained => here <= they are only compatible with LYNC 2010 and LYNC 2013

Sep 04, 2017 Question:Can I sign into Skype for Business using configuration parameters?

Resolution: Please see this post => here <=

Please be aware:

Message 4 of 4