Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

(I tried to find this information, but was unable to locate it. If it is already explained anywhere, please provide a pointer)

How does the VVX phone "know", that a new firmware is available on the provisioning server?

I have a provisioning server, with firmware folder, and the config points to this folder. The phone checks the provisioning server every day. But how does it recognize that the file it found in the folder is "newer" than the release it is currently running? Does the phone daily download the full 300+ MB combined sip.ld file, and when it opens it, will it realize "oops, I am already running this release" and rejects the file immediately? Then next day the process repeats itself?

In the Lync/Sfb device update service, when a phone queries the DeviceUpdate service, the reply contains the exact firmware version number. For provisioning file server, I dont see how this can be possible without grabbing the entire file and checking its full content?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello RichardPasztor,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

There is no such mechanism apart from the LYNC / Skype for Business method. I advise you should utilize the split firmware instead.

It loads the header and compares a checksum.

You can always request this as a feature request but usually you would only place a new firmware on a server when you are ready to deploy one.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

let me see if I understand what you replied:

There is no such mechanism apart from the LYNC / Skype for Business method. --> ok, understood, only the LYNC/SFB device update method can retrieve the version info in the webservice reply

I advise you should utilize the split firmware instead.  -->  Combined file size is approx. 300MB, split file is approx. 40-50MB. But if downloaded via limited WAN connectivity (central provisioning server vs. branch devices), doesnt really help, IF(!) a full file is downloaded every day just for the sake of firmware version check procedure

It loads the header and compares a checksum. --> so you suggest the device downloads only the first 1-2 KB fraction of the 40MB/300+ MB file each day, and not the whole 40MB/300MB+ file each day?

You can always request this as a feature request but usually you would only place a new firmware on a server when you are ready to deploy one. --> I understand when I should put a firmware on the file server. What I did not understand, what is the bandwidth usage of devices versus file server on those days, where the device running firmware equals the provisioning server firmware version.

I hope that clarifies my question.

HP Recommended

Hello RichardPasztor,

usually the phone only looks for its firmware when its rebooted.

If you utilize the prov.polling.enabled the phone will look at the defined times.

The process:

0306180219|cfg  |*|00|Prov|Starting to update 3111-44500-001.sip.ld
0306180219|cfg  |3|00|Reading 3111-44500-001.sip.ld into RAM, this may take a while...
0306180219|cfg  |3|00|Image 3111-44500-001.sip.ld has not changed

takes around 1 second for the split release and transmits around ~ 250Kbytes

Not knowing your actual setup aka if you use the 000000000000.cfg or an individual <mac>.cfg makes it hard to advise any further.

You could for example replace the APP_FILE_PATH="sip.ld" with APP_FILE_PATH="ftp://0.0.0.0" instead and the file no longer looks for the firmware. Once you place a new firmware on the server you simple restore the original.

As you do work for a service provider I suggest you work with one of our SE's

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

"takes around 1 second for the split release and transmits around ~ 250Kbytes"

That is the information I was looking for in this thread. Do you know if this piece of information is included in any of the official product documentation that describes the update? I have checked many Admin guides, and it is nowhere found, that was the whole point I opened this thread.

Example: UC_software_<INSERT ANY VERSION NUMBER>_Admin_guide.pdf

Section: "About updater"

"If the copy on the provisioning server is different from the one stored in device settings, or there is no
file stored in flash memory, the application file is downloaded.
"

This section does not tell a word whether the whole firmware file is downloaded or just 250 Kbytes. If 10.000 phones are deployed against a shared provisioning server, that is a significant information to know.

HP Recommended

Yes, you are asking for something like the Yealink T48G and similar Yealink models have, there is a mechanism and feature where you can do a daily check for autoprovisioning, which would then be able to check for newer firmware on a scheduled basis.

I find this very interesting, because most phone VoIP vendors simply check upon reboot.

As long as you can do a mass reboot of phones/groups of phones, I would personally rather had that method unless you have it thoroughly tested new firmware.  Otherwise, all your phones could now be rendered useless or have a bug/flaw with daily/weekly checks of firmware.

Just a thought, goes both ways.  But for those that would like a daily scheduler, it would be a welcome feature I agree.

HP Recommended

Hello techlogik,

I am unsure if you personally work for Yealink or anything else but the constant mention of them is neither adding any value to posts or anything else.

Our phones support polling as originally commented and this can be set to a daily check or other timings. The Firmware Upgrade process, once a new firmware is found, can be dismissed a certain amount of times if the polling time was during the day.

Careful planning would usually do this either on a weekend or at night.

If you are interested in the Polling feature please check the relevant Polling FAQ post.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

After hours of searching and searching, I managed to find this hidden info buried deep in the bottomless pits of Polycom articles:

http://knowledgebase-iframe.polycom.com/kb/viewContent.do?externalId=19022&sliceId=1

What files are being downloaded from a Provisioning Server by a Polycom SoundStation IP, SoundPoint IP or VVX Business Media Phone?

--> and here is the straight, plain, english answer:

sip.ld

Phone Software, either SIP or UCS based on the Phone Part Number as combined download. On a reboot of the Phone the Software will be downloaded partly and the header compared to check for a newer Version.

HP Recommended

Hello RichardPasztor,

All Information is within the admin Guide.

The commonly advertised and referred FAQ contains this since 2013:

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

In my original first reply I wrote: 

• It loads the header and compares a checksum.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.