Occasional Visitor
Accepted Solution

Seperate VLAN PC port vs Phone

I have looked around the FAQ and searched and read several post that seemed similar to what i was looking for, but dont seem to address the question I have. My apologies up front if I have missed it. 

We have setup a new hybrid Skype for Business to test out the new PTSN calling. 

We ordered a Polycom device to test with 

Phone Model VVX 601
Part Number 3111-48600-001 Rev:A
UC Software Version 5.5.1.15937
Updater Version 5.7.1.17460

I have been trying to Get BToE working, and I get the device connected with my pc just fine. The only issue I have is that I dont really want to have my PC on the same VLAN as the voice traffic.

DHCP will issue the address in the same /24 scope to both devices and I do not see a way configure the phone to have both tagged to run them into a trunk port so DHCP would know issue an address on the appropriate vlan. The things that i have read address the PC port very little, so maybe i'm just not searching for the right term. 

Currently I use vlan5 for data and vlan10 for voice.

Could you comment if the above is possible or direct me to documentation that would explain how to do this. I am more than happy to do the leg work and read. I thank you for any assistance you could provide in advance. 

Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Seperate VLAN PC port vs Phone

Hello gstopjturner,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I usually would expect a PC to use a different VLAN as long as you can route the connectivity between the two.

The BToE application on the phone itself will send a broadcast on the PC port

More details can be found here:

Jan 27, 2016 Question:Are there any firewall ports required to be open when using BToE ?

Resolution: Please check => here <= for details

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Highlighted
Visitor

Not sure what type of switching environment you're connecting the phone to, but in a Cisco environment you would configure the switchport as follows to accomplish your goal:

switchport voice vlan 10

switchport access vlan 5

Configure the phone for VLAN ID 10

The PC behind the phone will be on VLAN 5.

Other vendors have different syntax, but the theory is the same:  The switchport needs to be a trunk, tagging VLAN 10, and passing VLAN 5 untagged.

Occasional Visitor

Thank you JasonN,

This solved my issue.