Polycom Employee & Community Manager

[FAQ] Video conferencing frequently asked questions

[ Edited ]

• This is a quick overview of the most common asked questions.
  • This Section will be updated from time to time.
  • The Polycom Community is not a replacement for Polycom Global Services Support and you may be asked to contact your Reseller or if outside warranty to work with Polycom Support via PPI (Pay Per Incident) or a maintenance contract

NOTE:

Please ensure before posting any new Question in the Community that you:

• Use the Polycom Community Search Functionality
  • Use the Polycom Knowledge Base Search Functionality => here <=
  • Check the Admin Guide and or Release notes matching your current => Software <= Version 
  • Provide the Software Version of your video conferencing endpoint
  • Provide the Model of the Polycom device
  • Provide the Platform / Protocol that is being used for a call (LYNC,Skype for Business, H.232 or SIP)

• Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
    Clarification: Please check => here <=

• Jun 21,2014 Question: Is there a way I can make a test call to a Polycom site?

Answer: Have a look at this post => here <=

• Jun 21,2014 Question: Are there specific Ports in my firewall that I need to open in order to utilize video conferencing?

Answer: Please check the relevant release notes or admin guide for your device under the section “Inbound and Outbound Ports” or "Port usage" => here <=.

In addition check this FAQ post => here <= for more details and troubleshooting suggestions.

• Jun 21,2014 Question: What could be causing one way video or one way audio when utilizing video conferencing?

Answer: Please check the relevant release notes or admin guide for your device under the section “Inbound and Outbound Ports” or "Port usage" => here <= in order to open the relevant firewall ports.

In addition check this FAQ post => here <= for more details and troubleshooting suggestions.

• Jun 21,2014 Question: How can I factory restore a HDX system?

Answer: Please check the Administrator’s Guide for "Using the Restore Button on the Polycom HDX System" or the community's search results => here <=

• Jun 23,2014 Question: How can I factory restore a RealPresence Group Series system?

Answer: Please check the Administrator’s Guide for "Performing a Factory Restore on the Polycom RealPresence Group System"

• Jun 21,2014 Question: What is the factory default username and password of a HDX or Group Series system?

Answer: 
    Default Username: admin
    Default Password: 14 digit HDX / Group Series serial number printed on the back fo the HDX / Group Series ending for example with the letters CN

• Jun 21,2014 Question: How can I factory restore a VSX system?

Answer: Please check the Administrator’s Guide troubleshooting section or the community's search results => here <=
  • Jun 21,2014 Question: What is the factory default username and password of a VSX system?

Answer: 
    Default Username: admin
    Default Password: 14 digit VSX serial number printed on the back fo the VSX for example starting with 82

• Jun 22,2014 Question: How can I activate / check / verify / recover my license?

Answer:
    Please check this post in the Software Licensing section => here <=

• Jun 23,2014 Question: Am I entitled to a software upgrade?

Answer: A Software update to the same Version number but a higher revision is usually free. A upgrade to the next version number (example 2.x to 3.x) requires the codec to be in warranty or a valid service contract.

• Jun 23,2014 Question: What Polycom cameras are supported by the HDX and RealPresence Group Series video systems?

Answer: Please check the Polycom® EagleEye™ Series Cameras data sheet => here <=

• Jun 23,2014 Question: How can I change the video output signal on a HDX system?

Answer: Pressing the display button on the remote for more than 2 seconds will provide an option to toggle between the relevant signals (VGA, Component etc.)

• Jun 23,2014 Question: Can I use a API with a HDX or RealPresence Group Series video systems?

Answer: Please check the relevant Integrator's Reference Manual => here <=. Please note that the Telnet Port 24 is being used.

• Jul 03,2014 Question: How can I use gather logs for Polycom suppor for a HDX or RealPresence Group Series video system?

Answer: 

For a Group Series:
    Logon to the Group Series => Diagnostic => Download Logs => click on Download system log

For a HDX:
    Logon to the HDX => Diagnostics => System Log => Download Logs => click on Download support information package

• Jul 22,2014 Question: Which Polycom Video End Points are LYNC / Skype for Business compatible?

Answer: Only the HDX and the Group Series are Microsoft compatible (depending on Software Version and License if applicable).

For more details please check the Polycom® Unified Communications Deployment Guide for Microsoft® Environments  => here <=

• Jul 22,2014 Question: How can I enable the Allow Video Display on Web” option on a HDX?

Answer: This must be enable via the HDX GUI first via the remote => System => Admin Settings => General Settings => Security>Security Settings page 3 (Depending on the Software Version)

NOTE: You must use the systems remote control to do this !

• Nov 14,2014 Question: How can I enable the “Allow Video Display on Web” option on a Group Series?

Answer: This must be enable via the Group Series GUI first via the remote => Settings => Administration => Security => Settings => Remote Access => Allow Video Display on Web as shown => here <= in detail.

NOTE: You must use the systems remote control to do this !

• Aug 26,2014 Question: How can I request a change to the current Software or request a new functionality?

Answer: Please check => here <=

• Feb 03,2015 Question: How to capture a screenshot of the current menu screen on the HDX , QDX or GroupSeries systems?

Answer:
    Open a web browser and navigate to http://systemIP/currentscreen.cgi 

• Feb 10,2015 Question: Hosting Multipoint Calls on Polycom® HDX® Series Systems?

Answer: For more details check => here <= 

• Feb 10,2015 Question: Can we use Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) MIB files for Polycom Products?

Answer: For more details check => here <= 

• Apr 07,2015 Question: How can I prevent Phantom calls to my Video Solution?

Answer: A local Firewall or a Polycom Firewall traversal solution can be utilized to stop this. In order to add this to a possible future Software version in the form of a whitelist please contact Luriep => here <= or Security Center: Security Bulletin Relating to Worldwide Botnet Dialing H.323-Capable Systems

• May 26, 2015 Question: Where can I find details on Security Advisory Relating to “Logjam” Vulnerability on Various Polycom Products?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

• Feb 06, 2016 Question: Can I extend a Polycom Microphone Array cable beyond its documented length limitation?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

• Mar 23, 2016 Question: Where can I find details about End of Life and/or End of Support?
    Resolution: Please check => here <=

• Mar 23, 2016 Question: Where can I change the view on the monitors provided on a HDX or GroupSeries?

Resolution: Please check the Configuring Monitor Settings or Monitor Profiles section within the Admin Guides
  • Apr 22, 2016 Question:Why am I being asked to contact my Polycom reseller for further support?

Resolution: Please check => here <= for details.

• Apr 22, 2016 Question:Why am I being asked to to provide my products MAC address / Serial Number?

Resolution: Polycom only sells to qualified resellers and these may sell via dealers who may not be trained on these products. In order to identify the reseller the unit was sold via we need the MAC address / Serial Number to provide their details so they can open a support ticket as explained => here <= 

• Jul 12, 2016 Question:What is HDCP?

Resolution: HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection to prevent copying of digital audio and video content as it travels across connections as explained in detail => here <= 

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: [FAQ] Video conferencing frequently asked questions

[ Edited ]
  • Aug 09, 2016 Question:Why can Polycom not discuss future software Versions within the Community?

Explanation:Polycom, as a US based company, cannot share any future release dates or new features due the requirement of a non disclosure agreement / NDA prior to this.Via the medium of a community forum we are unable to do this.

• Sep 05, 2016 Question:Where can I find Dimensional Drawings for RealPresence Group systems and accessories?

Explanation:Please check => here <=

• Oct 06, 2016 Question:How can I host my own server for RealPresence Group updates?

Explanation:Please check => here <=

• Oct 10, 2016 Question:Can I share my Display from a Apple Computer?

Explanation:Due to a policy established by Apple Computer, Inc., you cannot disable the HDCP encryption service on the DVI or HDMI outputs of a computer that is manufactured by Apple Computer, Inc.

• Oct 10, 2016 Question:Does the RealPresence Group system support Skype for Business Online, Skype for Business 2015, or Lync 2013 Server?

Explanation:The Skype for Business and Microsoft Office 365 features included in this version of RealPresence Group Series version 6.1.1 is officially supported.

Utilizing a GroupSeries in Skype for Business Online mode will require a PolycomTouch control

Note: This is not required for registration with the Skype for Business on-premises server.

• Jan 04,2016 Question: Can I connect other Cameras to a HDX and RealPresence Group Series video systems?

Answer: Please check the HDX / RealPresence Group Admin Guide under the Section Connecting Cameras as we describe the type of analog connections the HDCI input can take. Polycom has HDCI adapter cables, please refer to the Integrator's Reference Manual for those to work with your application.

• Jan 26,2017 Question: What other Microsoft Products is Polycom compatible with?

Answer: For an comprehensive overview please check the Polycom Unified Communications Solution for Microsoft Environments => here <=

• Feb 10,2017 Question: Can I remotely take a Wireshark capture from a RealPresence GroupSeries?

Answer: Since Software Version 4.1.1 you can follow this tech tip => here <=

• Mar 06,2017 Question: How can I check if or when my Polycom product is end of life?

Answer:Please check under Self Service > Product End of Life Search

• Mar 12,2017 Question: How can I backup my GroupSeries?

Answer: Utilities => Services => Profile Center => Current Settings Profile => Download
    Passwords are not included when you store a profile

• Apr 05,2017 Question: What LYNC or Skype for Business Version is supported by the CX7000?

Answer: The latest available Software Version 1.2.0 supports LYNC 2010 and LYNC 2013. Skype for Business is not supported.
Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.