Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Ok, got it resolved in the end, what i ended out doing was getting another machine and starting again from scratch, turned out what i needed to do was add a folder with the IP of the machine i was using and copy the files into there, so instead of C:\520 - i made another folder C:\520\IPOFPHONE\ 

Also (win 7) firewall needs to allow inbound and outbound connections for the FTP app. 

Thanks so much for your help and hopefully this will help any other users encountering this problem. 

HP Recommended

@Trentderby

thank you very much for this info!!! i was almost going to throw my Polycom phone by the window!

To Polycom staff please update your procedure for manual provisioning so people won't go crazy trying to update a phone.

it is not write anywhere on your procedure to create and name the FTP folder with the ip of the phone/server.

i had to create a folder on my ftp root folder with the server ip as a name and finally my phone get updated.

Re: [FAQ] How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Downgrade Software?[ Edited ]

Pointing a Phone to an Provisioning Server manually:

NOTE: Please remember that you may need to require to add a local Firewall Rule or Disable the Firewall completely !

To manually point the Phone to a Provisioning Server please do the following Steps:

Reboot the Phone (unplug Ethernet cable and plug back in)

• Press Setup or Cancel and then Setup when the countdown is being displayed
  • Use the standard Password of 456
  • Scroll down to DHCP menu and press select/enter
  • Change the Boot Server to static via the Edit Button
  • Press Back
  • Scroll down to Server Menu and press select/enter and change to the following values

Server Type: FTP(s), TFTP or HTTP(S)

Server Address: IP Address or Hostname of your Server

Server User: Username of your server (if needed)

Server Password: Password of your server (if needed)

Exit and Save and let the Phone re-boot.

In a normal setup we recommend using an FTP Server in order to provision the Phone and in addition to allow the Phone to upload its own <mac>-app.log and <mac>-boot.log files.

The Server should contain the unzipped Version of either UCS or SIP Software (depending on the compatible version)

NOTE: check => here <= if legacy phones are used

The FTP Server needs to allow append and write for this functionality.

Above is vital for Polycom Support in order to troubleshoot cases.

The Customer needs to create their own individual Configuration Files and can use separate files for a Phones registration (per Phone Mac Address) and Global Settings like SIP Server, NTP and Language etc.

When is a Provisioning Server needed:

• Running an older Software than UCS 3.3.0 as the phone needs to load the sip.cfg / phone1.cfg

• Upgrading a Phone from an older Software to UCS 4.x.x

• Language change from English on pre UCS3.3.x Software Versions (example SIP 3.2.7 or older)

• License provisioning for H323,Corporate Directory / LDAP, Local / Centralized Conferencing and Audio Recording
  • Central Phone Book via 000000000000-directory.xml or individual <mac>-directory.xml

• Log Files for Support troubleshooting prior to UCS 4.0.0

• Specific Customer configurations parameters that cannot be changed via the Web Interface (UCS 3.3.0 introduced a large scope of changes and the new UCS 4.0.0 has enhanced this functionality even more) require the usage of configuration files being loaded from the provisioning server.

Example FTP Server:

Note: Below example utilizes the Freeware FTP Server Filezilla. Please ensure to setup the correct Firewall settings and liaise directly with Filezilla for any issues encountered with their Software. The example provided is utilizing UCS 4.1.0 Rev B as the Polycom Phone Software

NOTE: Above UC Software 4.1.0 is just an example and is for LYNC deployments only. For SIP please check the Support page for the compatible software !

Pre-requisite:

• Download the latest Phone Software from => here <=

Example UCS 4.1.0 Rev B (!! please check that your phone is compatible as shown => here <= !!)

!! Both files are required as outlined above !!

• Create a directory and copy the two archives into this directory (Example D:\Software\UCS410revB\ )

• Unzip the two Archives so they are in the UCS410revB Directory

Setting up the server

• After downloading and installing the Server from => here <= a User needs to be setup to be utilized

• Create the new user 410b

• Add the directory created for above Software to the new User

• Ensure that the User 410b is able to append and write / delete files

• Once the phone is pointed at the FTP Server address the Phone will attempt to download the relevant files

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

Above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

Please ensure to always check the VoIP FAQ, Video Endpoint FAQ , PSTN FAQ or RPM FAQ

If you find my post helpful, and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution" and feel free to give me Kudos.
HP Recommended

Hello APQSUP and Trentderby,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

In the nearly 8 years I have been working with these phones I never ever had to define any IP address as described by both of you.

Using the copied and pasted example just today training end users did not require any additional IP address as described by yourself.

Using Filezilla as an example simply does not require this but unfortunately neither of you mentioned the FTP server you used yourself and / or the software version of the phone.

Following the quoted FAQ post simply works and anything else needs further investigation and simply providing more details.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.