Highlighted
Occasional Advisor
Accepted Solution

Color expansion module in a boot loop

Currently using a VVX 600 (UC 5.5.1.12442) with 1 color expansion module hooked up. The combo was working fine until today when I accidentally unplugged the AUX cable from the phone. I plugged the AUX cable back in to turn the EM back on, but now the EM is just continuously booting, turning off and back on. I've tried resetting the phone to defaults but the EM is still just booting. I could not find any relevant information in the app/boot log file unless perhaps I was looking in the wrong place. Any advice?

Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Color expansion module in a boot loop

[ Edited ]

Hello orderedchaos,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

An old posts => here <= is still open / pending as you have not marked it as "Accept as a solution".

If it is in this state nobody finding them via a community search will know if an answer or advice was useful and has helped you.

Could you therefore kindly go over it and mark or answer as appropriate ?

If it as marked as "Accept as a solution" other users can find this easier and it helps them to utilize the community more efficiently. 

For your new issue a set of Logs and backup of your configuration may help us.

I would simply suggest a factory reset as explained here:

Oct 10, 2011 Question: How can I reset / Factory default my Phones configuration?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.
Questions posted here do not follow Polycom’s SLA guidelines.
If you require assistance from Polycom technical support, please open a
web service request or call us .

The above is necessary in order to track issue internally within Polycom.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Occasional Advisor

[ Edited ]

Hi Steffen,

Thanks for the advice, I tried factory resetting the phone again with the EM connected but the behavior persists. I uploaded a video in case anyone is curious what it is doing.

https://youtu.be/ui2BwEqFNTI

In checking the logs again, it occurs to me there are several relevant messages. I have attached the log if you wouldn't mind taking a look.

[ Edited ]

Hello orderedchaos,

the VVX itself was sold via SCANSOURCE COMMUNICATIONS back in 20/03/2014 so not sure if the expansion module is from the same time and still has warranty.

Please try:

Settings > Logging > Global Log Level Limit > Debug
Settings > Logging > Log File Size (Kbytes) > 160
Settings > Logging > Module Log Level Limits > EM > Debug

Your Video shows they are not connected so just make sure the cable between the phone and the expansion module is properly seated and the two are attached to each other.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

The purpose of these forums is to allow community members collaborate and help each other.

You are welcome to post more questions or configuration or logs for other community members to look at but if your issue requires a fix via Polycom you must go via the official support structure.

Please ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you , and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accept as Solution".

This forum reply or post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.
Polycom employee participation within this community is not mandatory and any post or FAQ article provided by myself is done either during my working hours or outside working hours, in my private time, and may be answered on weekends, bank holidays or personal holidays.
Occasional Advisor

Thank you, I have made sure the cable is nice and snug in the AUX port and AUX1 on the EM. I do not see those logging options under settings on my phone, not sure on that. I got this module direct from Polycom on 3/30/15, SN AP0A1424086B, under RMA Number: SBL737482 so I am guessing it is no longer under warranty.

Hello orderedchaos,

I am not aware of any issues in the field and it should be here:

EM_Debug.PNG

This is from a phone running the current GA 5.5.1.12442

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Please be aware:

Occasional Advisor

Thank you for your patience, I've set the log levels as you suggested and waited to get some new entries. Here is a an updated log

Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help Steffen, but I think this thing is bricked. Don't know how I managed that by just unplugging it, but oh well. Time to get a new one. Thanks again!

Occasional Advisor

For the record, I skipped an important step and forgot to verify that it was not actually the phone that was the issue. I ordered a new sidecar and the new one had the same issue so I tested the old sidecar on another phone and sure enough it worked fine. The AUX port on my phone is fried.