Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I purchased 5 Soundpoint IP 550 phones used.  They are all working in the sense that they startup and connect to the internet, etc.  However, I cannot get to the factory reset option as many instructions recommend.  I have tried the menu>settings>advanced with the 456 combination password or the 123 or removed by mod, and if accepted, it only shows me two options.  reset or change password. 

I have done the 468* combo for reset removed by mod and nothing changes.  Can someone point me out if I am missing something or who I can get to fix this.  As it is, these are useless unless I can reset them.  Pretty much now, it looks like the money spent to get this resolved will negate any savings of gettting them used.  I guess I should have researched a little better about these phones, even though everyone recommends them.

Any help,  will be appreciated.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello Filfy,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I have removed parts of your post as we do not publicly discuss this method within the Polycom community.

Can you please provide some more details if you actually have access to the => Menu => Settings => Advanced ?

If yes, can you point the Phone to a local provisioning server via  the Administration Settings?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I just purchased 6 IP550's that were used on a TDS ManagedIP voip network.

I am trying to factory reset the phones so I can use them with my voip provider. However I can't get into the phone as an admin. If I go to menu>settings>advanced and enter the "admin" password 456 I get only two options... Change User Password and Reboot Phone.

When I hold down the 468* and input the "admin" password it just blips back to the main screen.

When I restart the phone and cancel the startup then push the "Setup" soft key and enter the "Admin" or removed by mod the phones say "Incorrect Password".

I have tried everything, please help me. I don't want six $150+ paperweights.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello drtao,

I had already removed the reference in above post as we do not publicly explain how to do this.

Please do not post this as I have removed it from your post as well.

The Admin Guide states:

Restoring Factory Defaults

For the key combination, press and hold certain key combinations (depending on the phone model) simultaneously during the countdown process in the BootROM until the password prompt appears

This must done when the countdown appears and not at any other stage using the code you know which we do not broadcast in the public.

In addition the seller of the Phones should have provided you either with the code or reset the phones.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I'm sorry, I didn't know what was removed from the post above.

I've tried everything at the times in boot you've stated and nothing is working. I need some real help here.

HP Recommended

I figured it out. The problem was the phone wasn't going to the countdown in the beginning.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I bought 4 phones on ebay and my VOIP say I need to reset to default.  But I don't know the phones passwords.

PLEASE HELP

Gary

HP Recommended

Hello Gary,

Polycom does not publicly reveal how to reset the Password as this would defeat the object of having a password on the phone.

Please contact your Ebay seller to provide you with the Password.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

I have a related problem.  I have been using my IP550's for a couple years now, and for some reason the default password STOPPED working. 

In fairness, we have a couple crosstown offices and this particular device has been moved back and forth a couple times due to a flood in the main office, etc.  Unfortunately, when using the phone or web interface, it fails. 

The phone still functions, but the display blinks with the wrong date/time as I cannot point the phone to the correct time server.

Thanks in advance for your help.

HP Recommended

Hello SHGuthrie,

As already mentioned on numerous occasions within this post we do not publicly explain within the community how to reset the password.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains in addition this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the Standard Username and Password for a Polycom Phone?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Above outlines this again.

The password would not have changed itself, someone with access to the phone would have done so.

If you can modify the files on the provisioning server you can also change the password.

The flashing time issue is also described and explained in the FAQ here:

Jan 28, 2013 QuestionTime and Date flashing or unable to set time correctly

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.