Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

We have updated our VVXs to 5.2 and set up the Intercom feature (all is working fine). The only issue we are having is that an intercom call will interrupt an active call and place it on hold. We have set some phones up with a one-touch efk and auto answer so this has caused a couple of headaches. I have been searching but no luck finding a config to disable this. I see it for paging/ptt but not intercom. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello ArdentMC,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I cannot confirm this with a VVX600 running UCS 5.2.0 on a SIP server.

I suggest you get a backup of your Phone and get a wireshark trace and work with your Polycom reseller to bring this to the attention of Polycom support.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I can confirm that the auto-answer interrupt is occurring on UC software 5.2.5, on a VVX 410 and VVX600.

Intercom is enabled with the following config lines:

<voIpProt>
    <voIpProt.SIP>
        voIpProt.SIP.alertInfo.2.value="intercom"
        voIpProt.SIP.alertInfo.2.class="autoAnswer"
    </voIpProt.SIP>
</voIpProt>

Other than the line registration and outbound proxy settings, everything else is default, from a freshly factory-reset VVX 600. So it's using the default settings for the se.rt.autoAnswer class.

This sets it up so that the polycom auto-answers calls that have the "intercom" indication in the SIP headers. It works fine... except that it also auto-answers calls even if the phone is already on a different active call, and places the previous call on hold. For obvious reasons this is problematic.

As mentioned, the config I'm running is barebones/default for the most part, other than the registration configuration and auto-answer configuration, so this is apparently default behavior in 5.2.5.

One of the ways I have found to fix this is to set call.callsPerLineKey to 1. This will return a busy signal to the calling phone and the caller hears a slow-busy. However, this is a half-baked workaround and not a solution, and wouldn't fit the use-cases of many or even most users, I would imagine.

If I set call.callWaiting.enable="0" in addition to the above, this causes the incoming intercom call to ring until the PBX sends the call to voicemail, and the called phone won't answer it if already on another call. However, obviously, this has the side-effect of disabling call waiting globally. 

For what it's worth, setting ptt.* options such as ptt.pageMode.allowOffHookPages to 0/disabled does not resolve the issue. I saw that mentioned in another thread and tried it, to no avail.

This is the SIP packet that is being sent to the phone, with IP and identity information masked:

INVITE sip:9999@public_ip_of_polycom_phones_network:21893;transport=udp;intercom=true SIP/2.0
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP media_server_ip:11000;rport;branch=z9hG4bK8HFHK4ecU45HQ
Route: <sip:kamailio_proxy_ip:5060>
Max-Forwards: 49
From: "Caller Name" <sip:1005@myauthdomain.net>;tag=0r8KBSp4FXjUp
To: <sip:9999@public_ip_of_polycom_phones_network:21893;transport=udp>
Call-ID: eb6f9474-019e-11e6-9db0-5b3f847f2b9b
CSeq: 89948573 INVITE
Call-Info: <sip:my_media_server_ip>;answer-after=0
User-Agent: <name_of_pbx>
Allow: INVITE, ACK, BYE, CANCEL, OPTIONS, MESSAGE, INFO, UPDATE, REGISTER, REFER, NOTIFY, PUBLISH, SUBSCRIBE
Supported: timer, path, replaces
Allow-Events: talk, hold, conference, presence, as-feature-event, dialog, line-seize, call-info, sla, include-session-description, presence.winfo, message-summary, refer
Content-Type: application/sdp
Content-Disposition: session
Content-Length: 275
X-AUTH-IP: <public_ip_of_polycom_phones_network>
X-AUTH-PORT: 32269
X-PBX-AOR: sip:9999@myauthdomain.net
X-FS-Support: update_display,send_info
Alert-Info: <intercom>
Remote-Party-ID: "Caller Name" <sip:1005@myauthdomain.net>;party=calling;screen=yes;privacy=off

v=0
o=FreeSWITCH 1460551854 1460551855 IN IP4 <my media server ip>
s=FreeSWITCH
c=IN IP4 <my media server ip>
t=0 0
m=audio 17420 RTP/AVP 9 0 8 101 13
a=rtpmap:9 G722/8000
a=rtpmap:0 PCMU/8000
a=rtpmap:8 PCMA/8000
a=rtpmap:101 telephone-event/8000
a=fmtp:101 0-16
a=ptime:20

HP Recommended

Hello sb_jde,

Intercom aka SIP Alert Info is not PTT. PTT is Push to Talk and something completely different.

Apart from asking you to try a currently supported software like UC Software 5.4.3 I can only advise to contact your Polycom reseller so they can open a Ticket for you with Polycom support.

If you struggle to identify then or they some kind of web discounter please post a MAC address so I can look up the real reseller.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen, 

Thank you for your reply. I expected as much honestly, I've done research on these forums for years and I know you usually don't have the time to do any internal testing for weird issues and that forum support is not your actual job.

We are a hosted PBX provider. I have about 10 years of SIP experience myself. I remember a time when Polycom phones did not, in fact, auto-answer calls when already on another call - but that may have been due to the fact that I was using them on different PBX's unique to each customer so it was possible to tweak how calls were treated as necessary.

Now as a hosted multi-tenant PBX provider we have to be as generalized as possible to keep things manageable. I got away from Polycoms for a while in my regular IT work, but after starting the hosted PBX company we decided to try to integrate Polycom phones into our product lineup. We've been buying them used because we've noted that most of our customers are unwilling to pay MSRP or standard retail prices for brand new phones, and are perfectly happy with slightly used phones at much cheaper prices. That's just the way people are.

There is no configured priority or precedence or anything like that, unless there is some bug causing autoAnswer/ringAutoAnswer calls to be treated as a priority call by default.

One thing to note is that our PBX package (a marriage of Kamailio and FreeSwitch with Erlang-based middleware for fault-tolerance and scalability) plants the "intercom" Alert-Info header based on a dial prefix before the extension. It's possible to modify the header in the erlang code, but this would break implementations on other phone products we supply to customers.

I'm asking because I'm curious if Polycoms treat "Alert-Info: intercom" as priority calls by default. That's the only way I can imagine that this is happening.

So that's my question. If Polycom's don't treat "Alert-Info: intercom" as priority for some weird reason, and some other deeply problematic thing is happening, I will happily call an end to this thread and move on.

The MAC address of the phone I'm testing on primarily is 00:04:F2:63:8E:CF

If you want to look up the reseller for me that would be great, but in my experience trying to work with a polycom reseller never goes well unless you are their "direct customer".

HP Recommended

Hello sb_jde,

Thanks for taking your time and looking up my prior replies and yes you are correct that my voluntary participation within this community is not mandatory.

I do try and follow up post's but the majority of times the lack of any basic information or details like a complete log or a trace prevent me from even getting a basic head start,

In your case the phone was sold via Hello Next USA back in 05/11/2014 and the phone therefore is well out of warranty.

Without knowing the details from your customer they most likely purchased from some kind of Internet discounter and as everything else in life when trying to buy as cheap as possible the lack of support is a side effect. Again this is only an assumption as I have no details at all about this transaction.

Our official resellers are all trained and professional enough to deal with end customers and therefore I can only ask you to reach out to Next USA and get this escalated so we can root cause this and if a bug on our end fix this.

You may be requested to pay per incident but as you are delivering a proffesional service to your end customer I assume this is not an issue for this out of warranty unit.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

For the sake of posterity, I wanted to add that I too ran into this issue, and it turns out it was caused by a follow-up SIP NOTIFY talk event being sent to the phone.

That is, the initial INVITE went out with all the "intercom" stuff (e.g. in the R-URI, the Alert-Info and Call-Info headers), and *subsequent* to that INVITE, after the 180/183, a SIP NOTIFY message was sent to the device with an "Event: talk" header. It was that NOTIFY message that caused existing calls to placed on hold.

To put it another way: when a phone receives a SIP NOTIFY message, with an "Event: talk" header, it will unconditionally place an existing call on hold, and pick up the other call. I was unable to find a way to tweak / adjust how phone(s) handle such NOTIFY messages.

HP Recommended

Hello lumber_jack,

The phone in this case behaves as working as designed.

If we receive such an event we will interrupt active calls. This is a critical part of making the BroadWorks Commpilot Call Manager work seamlessly (VOIP-81019).

This is going back to our SPIP and SSIP Phones and any change to this would require a feature request.

Jan 03, 2013 Question: How can I request a change to the current Polycom SIP / UC Software?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Again not having complete logs and / or a full wireshark trace its difficult answering this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.