Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

New order of VVX500 phones different default configuration to Polycom documented configuration

Hi Forum members.

I have configured a central provision service (simple FTP service) for our trial of new VoIP phones and the organisation has settled on the VVX500, we also tested the VVX410.

Our DHCP service offers out the DHCP option 160 which is a string value of ftp:username:password@ftpserver.internal.domain this is actually a DNS CNAME that redirects to the real location to make it easy to relocate later. All tested and working great.

We have just received a batch of 50 VVX500 phones the first phone we connected and powered on failed to get connect to the FTP service, but I did notice that they picked up the PXE service DHCP option 66.

I attempted to connect to the Web interface on the phone and was unable to connect. Tried factory, Local config and Web config resets to no avail.

So we tried another VVX500, Same issues but I was able to connect to the web interface. On checking the Provisioning server settings I realised that the Boot Server Option was set to 161, so I changed this to 160 and viola the phone rebooted pulled down the updated firmware, 5.3.0, and our configuration all good form this point. The phone pairs with the BToE client and we sign in and all good.

Performing a Factory reset returns the DHCP string to 161!

However on this new phone I now have an extra/different buttons on the touch screen! How can this happen? We now have a

Lync button that is labelled search. I’ll attached some images. New is the new pohone old is the old.

Phone hardware details are;

• Original phone: REV.AC
  • New Phone with issue: REV.AC, REV.AD

So I guess the issue is I have an incorrectly configured batch of phones?

Can I perform some kind of change to the “Factory Reset” config so that DHCP option is 160?

Is this type of behaviour form Polycom normal?

Why would the Lync butto9n now be on the device even when the firmware versions are the same and the configuration is being downloaded from the same source?

I have created a DHCP option 161 and the device does appear to now function, I will test on some more phones.

Thanks to you in advance for any insights

Nathan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

So I have been told by our vendor that there are two devices, a SIP device and a Lync device, both fully support Lync but yes the Lync device looks for DHCP 161 not 160, so configure both DHCP options to cover yourself.

Thanks a lot Polycom for wasting so much of my time!

Why is this detail not documented in any of the official Polycom doco? very poor experience indeed.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

So I have been told by our vendor that there are two devices, a SIP device and a Lync device, both fully support Lync but yes the Lync device looks for DHCP 161 not 160, so configure both DHCP options to cover yourself.

Thanks a lot Polycom for wasting so much of my time!

Why is this detail not documented in any of the official Polycom doco? very poor experience indeed.

HP Recommended

Hello MrVirtual,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Polycom provides a official Polycom® UC Software in a Microsoft® Lync™ Server Environment document => here <= which states:

• If you are using a Polycom phone with a Lync SKU, use Option 161 with the address (URL or IP address) of the provisioning server. You can set the provisioning server address or URL through the device menu.

The Phone will automatically fall back to Option 66 if no Option 161 is defined.

If the Phone is changed in to SIP base profile it will use Option 160 instead. This way we can ensure the highest flexibility and compatibility for existing deployments.

In addition the VoIP FAQ and the release notes explain this:

Jul 11, 2014 Question: Since upgrading to UCS 5.1.1 or later and running LYNC base profile I can no longer access the Web Interface

Resolution: Please check => here <=

In regards to the additional key I can only assume you have a different software Version on the phones. You have not detailed the Version yet so I cannot comment.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

HI Steffen,

Thanks for your response.

Your link did not work, but form my humble point of view, I have no idea of a Lync skew, I get a device with the model number of VVX500, everything about this device to me is identical except for the behaviour which was most unexpected and not clearly documented in a manner that would be easily descernable as I point out above I have no idea of the skew.

As for functionality the devices once booting and configured function as expected with the exception of the new device having the Lync search icon on the screen which I am yet to work out what this is actually searching, any detail on this would be helpful.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello MrVirtual,

this is simply a change that was added to the specific Phone SKU that comes automatically with a LYNC software.

This was chosen as explained above so in LYNC deployments a mixed set of phones can operate without affecting each other by using different DHCP Options.

I will add a note to the FAQ in addition.

In regards of your LYNC Directory button simply verify your software Version on the phone. Its a faster access to the LYNC ABS

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.