Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi there, hoping somebody can help me.

I researched this quite a bit before posting and I was unable to find my answer. I have several IP 335s and 650s; upgrading the Firmware is not the problem, I am just confused as to which one to upgrade to. We are using FreePBX, no Lync, no other system. I reviewed the Software Matrix Here: http://downloads.polycom.com/voice/voip/sip_sw_releases_matrix.html

I have been told 4.1 is exclusively for Lync, but then there is a version 4.1.0 Rev S with no mention of Lync, then we have 4.07 which is the current GA release. What does GA stand for? Which would be the latest release for my implementation (FreePbx only)?

We are wanting to do this because some of the phones are randomly rebooting and I have read all of the other threads/forums with no real solid solution.

Thanks for your time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello joshuamarius,

some issues are the same and others are not.

Most of the time users do not escalate following the correct path via their reseller so we are unable to find the root cause.

UCS 4.1.0 and UCS 4.1.1 has not been tested against SIP servers. It may work or it may have issues and is not a supported platform for SIP.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello joshuamarius,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

UCS 4.1.x for the SoundPoint / SoundStation IP is exclusively for LYNC

UCS 4.0.x is for normal SIP servers

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the answer. Out of curiosity, has there been any reported or documented problems with using the Lync firmware on SIP systems. As I mentioned, our Polycom 650 phones act weird and restart randomely when some features such as BLF are active. However, I have seen this problem right here in the community reported with many versions of the firmware.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hello joshuamarius,

some issues are the same and others are not.

Most of the time users do not escalate following the correct path via their reseller so we are unable to find the root cause.

UCS 4.1.0 and UCS 4.1.1 has not been tested against SIP servers. It may work or it may have issues and is not a supported platform for SIP.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

joshuamarius,

I am curious which threads you read that had no real solid solution.  

Based on your description, you are having lockups and reboots when using BLFs on SPIP650 phones, and it sounds like you might be running 4.1.0 or 4.1.1 in combination with Asterisk (FreePBX is just a web configuration front-end to Asterisk).

At 4 pages in length, the definitive thread on the subject (if I do say so myself) is http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/SoundPoint-IP-650-lockups/td-p/50317 which had a pretty darn conclusive ending to it.  

Despite the misleading version number, as the release matrix that you linked to points out, 4.1.1 is actually OLDER than 4.0.7 by a month, and 4.0.7 is the release that includes the fix for this particular issue in a SIP environment, so my guess is that you did not comprehensively read that thread nor did you try to use 4.0.7 on affected phones before posting here?  (Perhaps that particular thread did not come up in a search for some reason?)

In the context of software releases, the GA acronym usually stands for "General Availability".

I believe that Lync uses SIP signaling with some custom Microsoft extensions on top of it, so this is the reason why you can sometimes get away with trying to use 4.1.x in a non-Lync environment...the Lync version of UC shares a great deal of code with the general SIP version.  

But because it is marked as Lync-only, I'm sure Polycom does not test or QA the Lync versions against non-Lync SIP proxies, and if Lync has a different, proprietary way of doing certain things (like, for example, BLFs), then the BLF code that causes problems on SPIP phones with (e.g.) Asterisk would never end up getting executed on the phone within a Lync environment, and thus there would be no reason for Polycom to merge in the SIP BLF code fix to the Lync-only branch and make a 4.1.x release available that includes this particular fix.  

This is somewhat speculative, but if true, is another good reason that you should never use the 4.1.x releases in a pure SIP environment: you may not be receiving fixes to things that you need (but that would never be a problem in a Lync environment) because they aren't getting included in the Lync releases.

-- Nathan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.