Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

So we implemented new switch stacks of ALE Omniswitch 6860E: 
http://enterprise.alcatel-lucent.com/assets/documents/omniswitch-6860-datasheet-en.pdf

They are PoE switches with a default of 30 W per port, except for the first 4, which are up to 60 W.

We have 6 Polycom IP SoundStation 6000 phones that were originally plugged in to Cisco 3750 PoE switches.

We bought the 6000 phones years ago, and they've been working in production for >5 years i believe.

They were working fine on the Cisco switches, and then they stopped working on the ALE switches.

Upon boot up of the ALE switches, the Polycom 6000s displayed a set of 3 red solid lights on top.

The lanpower status on those switches shows a fault for the PoE status, not "searching," "powered on," or "powered off."

When I put them back on a Cisco switch, they then display 3 blinking red lights on top.
We have plenty of other Polycom phones (VVX410, SoundPoint IP550, Soundstation IP 7000, etc) in this environment that all worked just fine and powered on without issue.

We then tried to put them on the PoE injectors.  Some combination of time of keeping them off / on, reseting the power on them (multiple times), and/or trying reset codes (ie 68*) seems to EVENTUALLY get them to work again (5 of 6 so far), though we are unable to pinpoint what.  With the fault information from the switch, we speculate there is some issue with the power negotiation, but I am unaware of how that process works so far.  We are also suspecting that some restriction or level of power regulation within the phone eventually gets eased and allows the phone to boot once again.  Once we have gotten them working / online again, we have put 4 of the 6 back in place with PoE injectors, and turning the PoE off on the switch port.

I see many instances of related issues with the light codes on the Polycom forums, but nothing that seems to have definitive answers (unless i blatently missed something)....
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/IP-6000-stuck/td-p/62295
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/SoundStation-IP-6000-won-t-power-on/td-p/69410
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/IP-6000-Power-up-issue/td-p/73591
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/Soundpoint-IP-6000-Boot-Issue-Solid-LEDs-blank-display/m-p/8956...
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/IP-6000-Blinking-Red-Lights/td-p/24216
http://community.polycom.com/t5/VoIP/IP-6000-Power-up-issue/td-p/70331

Basically I am trying to understand the following: 
1) What power negotiation issue might be going on?  Does it have a failsafe to only start a certain way after a power issue?
2) What are the specific port requirements and/or compatibility (PoE settings / levels, speed, duplex, etc)?
3) Is there a sequence to reset this phone, if the display screen never appears (only 3 solid or blinking red lights on top)?
4) How can I revive the phone that still can't boot and displays 3 solid red LED lights?

Any help would be appreciated....

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello zenace33,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Can you post some of the affected phones MAC addresses so I can verify this internally?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

I'll verify these this afternoon, but I believe they are:

<mac's removed>

HP Recommended

Hello Zeenace33,

All these units where sold around the 24/02/2011, so they are over 6 years old, but I believe we offer a RMA Out of Warranty refurbished unit for $136 USD/per unit.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Right, I understand these are out of warranty.  I never said they weren't, thought they weren't, or asked about that.  I also didn't ask whether or not these phones were a good piece of equipment either.  I know they aren't under warranty, but this is the community forums where you ask these kind of questions, right?  I asked (the community forums, whether that includes polycom personnel or not) if anyone had any idea about the symptoms and problems that these devices were having.  This is the only piece of equipment that had problems, and it is because of how the power negotiation happens, and I'm pretty sure any other replacement/RMA ones we'd recieve would probably have the same issue.  All other phones, including other Polycoms, and devices did not have this issue.  Maybe because these IP 6000s are older, they don't have the technology to interact with modern switches, and/or maybe ALE's switches negotiate power in a certain way.  I'm naive and ignorant about those facts and processes, hence why i asked the question here.  If you or any other Polycom personnel are savvy enough to answer that question, I would welcome and appreciate that.  I also do appreciate the simple fact that you were on the forums and messaged quickly.  However, otherwise I'll keep checking to see if any other users smarter than myself can provide any info...
Thanks.

HP Recommended

For what it is worth…. I think I found a fix for my IP 6000. It’s booting and working flawlessly now. This issue reminded me of a problem my son had with an early generation Xbox called the “Red Ring of Death.” An online hack had my son wrap the Xbox in towels and place it in the oven at 100 degrees or so for an hour. This would fix the broken Xbox. Apparently, expansion caused by the heat will rejoin separated solder points.

After a couple of hours under my car’s windshield, maybe 120 degrees, the IP 6000 booted the first time. Keeping the unit continuously booted, hopefully will keep everything together & working. I’ve disconnected it and rebooted several times and it’s working.

HP Recommended

Thanks @jatspat for the suggestion I've got a whole trove of IP6000's that I'be been waiting for someone to offer a fix for.

If you review @SteffenBaierUK responses to these comments to these issues posted over the years they are pretty disappointing. There is clearly a known issue and whether the devices are in warranty or not for Polycom not to acknowledge the issue is pretty ridiculous.

As an aside, years ago Polycom had a production run of devices for which the Serial Port was not correctly soldered on to the phones and completely unusable. We had purchased hundreds of these phones and it took an offensive amount of effort to get Polycom to acknowledge the issue and then address it... 

HP Recommended

Hello @Headland Communications ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

Back in 2018, I supplied you with details on how to an Out Of Warranty repair for your mostly 8-9-year-old devices >here<

I am unsure what you expect when the official warranty is 1 year. I doubt any other manufacturer has a similar offer. 

I am also not aware of what your other issue with Poly phones and serial ports was but I am glad you sorted it.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

@SteffenBaierUK - You must get paid based on the number of posts you complete. I try not to take responses in forums like this to your lack of understanding of what is expected from a customer service representative is truly impressive.

To date, under the various organizations I have worked with and the hundreds of posts I have read I have yet to find a single post of significant value from you. My personal favorite is:

"The solution provided by the previous poster is ambiguous at the most. You unit sounds like it is dead and nothing an End user can do can fix this."

At least @jatspat is trying offering something other than a warranty lookup and a sorry. If you don't have something nice (useful) to say please, don't say anything at all.

HP Recommended

Hello @Headland Communications ,

as outlined in my signature and various other places I am just a volunteer within this official public Poly hosted community so I really appreciate your feedback. It is always great when people value your participation made in your spare time.

In my nearly 14 years working my day job for the Poly support organization I hope you do understand that I clearly know what customer support means. 

We did sell globally around 1.000.000 conference phones so the numbers reported within the Poly community are not seen as a well-known issue.

I do follow every single hardware issue up with the Poly product management and as a goodwill gesture based on the age of the device, my original response was provided. We did offer an out-of-warranty replacement rate at a greatly reduced price for units 8-9 years out of warranty.

People like @jatspat or others may have found a solution but we as the manufacture cannot recommend such hobbyist approaches for our products.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.