Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

We have been experiencing an issue which results in Polycom VVXs losing local configuration when the HTTP provisioning server is unavailable.

In the past we had occasionally experienced this problem when phones were trying to provision while the server was performing backups so we adjusted the provisioning hours which resolved the problem.

We have had a repeat of this problem when the server was responding with a SQL error due to a software problem, this resulted in all Polycom VVXs losing local configuration which was particularly disruptive. This seems to be a problem which is specifically related to the newer version 5 firmware, this problem does not occur on Polycom Soundpoint IPs or other brands. The problem only seems to affect the local configuration, the local contacts directory is not affected.

Here's a list of the files the phones attempt to access, a SQL error page was presented for all requests prior to the phones losing local configuration:

mac.cfg

directory.xml/mac-directory.xml

mac-features.cfg

mac-site.cfg

mac-registration.cfg

mac-phone.cfg

mac-web.cfg

These are our provisioning settings:

device.prov.serverType = "HTTP"
device.prov.serverName = "ServerFQDN"
device.prov.user = "ProvUser"
device.prov.password = "ProvPassword"
device.prov.redunAttemptLimit = "3"
device.prov.redunInterAttemptDelay = "1"
device.prov.tagSerialNo = "0"

How do we prevent the phones from losing the local configuration when they're presented with an error page via HTTP provisioning?

Regards,

Shaun

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I'd also like to point out that we use LineKey configuration, here's an example:

<lineKey lineKey.reassignment.enabled="1" lineKey.1.category="Line" lineKey.1.index="1" lineKey.2.category="BLF" lineKey.2.index="0" lineKey.3.category="BLF" lineKey.3.index="0" lineKey.4.category="BLF" lineKey.4.index="0" lineKey.5.category="BLF" lineKey.5.index="0" lineKey.6.category="BLF" lineKey.6.index="0" lineKey.7.category="SpeedDial" lineKey.7.index="1" lineKey.8.category="SpeedDial" lineKey.8.index="2"lineKey.9.category="SpeedDial" lineKey.9.index="3" lineKey.10.category="SpeedDial" lineKey.10.index="4" lineKey.11.category="Unassigned" lineKey.11.index="0" lineKey.12.category="Unassigned" lineKey.12.index="0"/>

Not sure why this would make any difference as the rest of the local configuration (i.e. reg etc) is also lost but it's something that differs from our Polycom SoundPoint configuration.

Once the phones have lost the local configuration they stop attempting to auto provision at the scheduled times but the phones do not lose the provision server details so rebooting the phone manually resolves the issue.

HP Recommended

Hello shaun,

I suggest you work with Polycom support as I am away at present.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen,

I'm working out of the office for the rest of the week and won't have direct access to a Polycom VVX to raise the support request until I'm back in the office.

I'll raise this with Polycom Support next week, unless ofcourse you're able to assist us before hand.

Regards,

Shaun

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.