Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

2 of my vvx 500 phones have LAN speeds ~10% of the rest. (Somewhere around 6 MB/s vs ~40MB/s)  All running software 5.3.0.13357. 

If I swap a "good" phone for the "bad" ones, then everything works as normal. (The phone is the only variable. Computers and cables on the PC side are the same.)

Is there anything to do other than replace them?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Jim (BagaE-Nerd)

the problem with service providers is always not being on a latest release. Stating this, if all their other phones work, then its fine.

I would suggest to remove this from their provisioning server, factory restore it and run it as a test device standalone with a simple sip registration and see if it still shows the issue.

The only repair option (again I never heard of this issue) is to send it to Polycom for an RMA.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello BagaE-Nerd,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Firstly do you use the same configuration for all the phones in question?

Secondly you are utilizing a completely outdated and unsupported software version so could I kindly ask you to upgrade to UC Software 5.5.1 Rev E and re-test ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen,

Thanks for your prompt reply. 

The phones are configured the same, and the 2 "bad" ones did work normally for over a year, and somewhere in the last 30 days or so suddenly changed and became slow. The odd thing is that the computers they're connected to report a 1Gbps link, but clearly are not communicating with that level of throughput.

As the phones are managed by a local VOIP telco, I will need to ask them to try to update the software. I will do so and report back the results.

Best regards,

Jim (BagaE-Nerd)

HP Recommended

Jim (BagaE-Nerd)

HP Recommended

The MAC address of one of the afflicted phones is: 00:04:F2:8F:3C:FE

The people who have the hosted IP service and sold us the units (TDS Telecom) say that there is no repair to be done. They just want to sell me another vvx 500 for US $180.

When I mentioned they were running outdated software on them, their e-mail response was as follows:

"Jim,  I looked into the issue regarding your Polycom phones and found out that the version running on your phones is the latest version that has been approved for TDS Managed IP phone systems. It is the same version that runs on all of our phones. If there’s a newer version it has yet to be approved for our system and therefore not installed on the phones."

Still, I'm up against a situation where the device did work normally for some decent time and now is not. If you know of a repair service that's worth trying, I'm up for it. I'd rather not consign these to the local landfill if a repair option is cost-effective.

Jim

HP Recommended

Hello Jim (BagaE-Nerd)

the problem with service providers is always not being on a latest release. Stating this, if all their other phones work, then its fine.

I would suggest to remove this from their provisioning server, factory restore it and run it as a test device standalone with a simple sip registration and see if it still shows the issue.

The only repair option (again I never heard of this issue) is to send it to Polycom for an RMA.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thanks. I will ask them to do that. If it comes to the RMA option, I'll go down that path at the right time. 

Again, many thanks.

J

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.