Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I'm trying to set the message light to work with our switchvox system.  I can get it to work from the web interface by setting the "callback Mode to "contact" and setting the Callback Contact to 899  (Our voice mail #)  I have also set the one Touch Voice Mail to enabled and the Bypass Instant Message to Enable

But when I try to set it from a config file.... 

I used the sip-interop.cfg from the 3.3.2 code as a template. And the 3.3.0 June 2010 Administrator's Guide for the Polycom UC software as reference.

In the Guide on page A-72 it says msg.mwi.x.callBackMode  can be "registration", "contact" or "disabled". Default is "registration"

There isn't a msg.mwi.1.callBackMode="contact" or a msg.mwi.2.callBackMode="contact" so I added it.

However in testing it does not seem to be able to change the setting from "registration" to "contact"  

Any idea's on how to get around this would be great.  Also if possible any idea on how to set the message button to be truly one touch and not need a second button be pressed to select a line?

Thanks

Pete 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Pete,

the issue lies with the spelling of the command. It is case sensitive.

It is msg.mwi.x.callBackMode with a lower case "c"

The UCS Admin Guide 3.3.0 is the latest as we usually do not update the admin guide within releases and only add new Version with major releases.

The release Notes for newer Version contain the newly added command's.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Pete,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Without actually seeing your logs files it is hard to confirm if the Phone actually loaded the changed configuration.

Usually browsing via the Phone Gui into the Status Menu offers a configuration Submenu listing all the separate files that have been loaded and the amount of accepted or ignored Parameters if a Software Version like for example UCS 3.3.2 is being loaded.

The admin guide clearly states the msg.bypassInstantMessage Parameter as follows:

If set to 1, the display offering a choice of “Message Center” and “Instant Messages” will be bypassed when pressing the  Messages key. 

The phone will act as if “Message Center” was chosen.

Refer to Voice Mail Integration on page 4-52.

Instant Messages will still be accessible from the Main Menu.

Additional Information can be found at our Feature Descriptions & Technical Notifications page.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello,

Not sure if my post made it earlier.

Currently I can get it to call it's own extension when I push the message button, I need it to call extension "899"

I looked at the app.log for the phone and it has the following entries of interest.

0926153549|cfg  |4|00|Prm|sip-interop.cfg: Unknown parameter "msg.mwi.1.CallBackMode" found, ignoring.

0926153549|cfg  |4|00|Prm|sip-interop.cfg: Unknown parameter "msg.mwi.2.CallBackMode" found, ignoring.

Maybe I'm reading the admin manual wrong, but on page A-73 it says I be able to set it to "contact" default is "registration"

and it defines msg.mwi.x.callBackMode as a valid command.

I have played with the web interface and changed the Callback Mode from "Registration" to "Contact" and tested both settings

When it is set to "registration" the message button calls the phones extension and not the "899" needed to get to the voice mail system. 

When set to "Contact" Message button call voicemail (Extension 899).

Is there a different way to set this? Other than using the web interface?  I don't want to set it for every phone.

Note:  Other settings seem to all be set from my config files.

HP Recommended

Hello rappenp,

could you be so kind and confirm what Software Version you are actually running on your Phone and what Phone Type you are trying to Provision?

Menu Key => Status => Platform => Application => Main

If you are using UCS 3.3.x Parameters but actually running a Sip Version 3.2.x or older then the Parameters added/changed since UCS 3.3.0 will not work.

Please read this document => here <= and => here <=

In addition please make sure your read the Central Provisioning Section in the SIP/UCS Admin Guide matching the Software Version you are running on your Phones.

1. Changes made via the Phone GUI have the highest Priority
  2. Changes made via the Phones Web Interface have the next higher priority
  3. Changes made via the Configuration Files have the lowest Priority

The Community Search holds plenty of replies regarding central provisioning and modification of configuration files.

If you are still struggling and no other community members reply to your query you may want to consider contacting your Polycom Reseller if the units are still within warranty or work with Polycom Support via PPI (Pay Per Incident).

Best regards 

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services 

HP Recommended

OK I have a few different models of phones, Currently I'm working with a Polycom 321 phone. (lowest common phone model)

BootRom version is 4.3.0.0246

Application  Sip Version 3.3.2.0413

Administrator's Guide for the Polycom UC Software 3.3.0 June 2010 (I wish I had found a little newer version, but this is what I found)

I'm sure your right in that the Command documented in my Admin Guide to set the Callback Mode to "Contact" is no longer supported in the code I'm running. 

Should I be running diffent code? (seems like I am at the latest code App and Rom)

Should I have a newer version of the Admin Guide? (Where would I get it)

Really I have no doubt the command is no longer supported, since it write a entry in the logfile saying it is ignoring it, and when it starts up you can look in the web interface and it isn't set.

The question I should be asking is; If this way of setting the Callback Mode to "contact" isn't going to work.  (pretty sure it isn't)  Then how can I,  set it to do this from a central config file for every phone? 

In other words;  If this command is no longer supported, then what was it replaced with?    

Thanks in advance for your time helping me.

Pete

HP Recommended

Hello Pete,

the issue lies with the spelling of the command. It is case sensitive.

It is msg.mwi.x.callBackMode with a lower case "c"

The UCS Admin Guide 3.3.0 is the latest as we usually do not update the admin guide within releases and only add new Version with major releases.

The release Notes for newer Version contain the newly added command's.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.