Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I apologize for the re-post but I'm not seeing my initial posting appear on the boards at all.

Phone Model: VVX 600

UC Software: 5.5.1 Rev Q

Provisioning Server: Third Party Provider (I do not have access to the provisioning server itself)

Problem: In an attempt to add in provisioning values via the .xml configuration files, I input the following into my file:

<device.set device.set="1">
    </device.set>
<device.dhcp>
      <device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt.set="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt="Static">
      </device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt>
</device.dhcp>
<device.prov.password device.prov.password.set="1" device.prov.password="">
      </device.prov.password>
      <device.prov device.prov.serverName.set="1" device.prov.serverName="ProvisioningServerAddress">
      </device.prov.serverName>
      <device.prov.serverType device.prov.serverType.set="1" device.prov.serverType="HTTPS">
      </device.prov.serverType>
      <device.prov.user device.prov.user.set="1" device.prov.user="">
</device.prov.user>

The corresponding values above I would normally add to the Web Configuration Utility via Settings > Provisioning Server and into the appropriate fields as follows:

• Provisioning Server
    • Server Type: HTTPS
    • Server Address: ProvisioningServerAddress
    • Server User:
    • Server Password:
  • DHCP Menu
    • Boot Server: Static

These are the only values I would have normally set through the WCU. While testing, I was able to populate the above values into both phone and WCU without issue.  However, when I replaced the test value (literally, I input "Test" as the value for the parameter) for the Server Address field/ device.prov.serverName parameter with the actual provisioning server address and uploaded the configuration file via the WCU interface, my phone is now stuck in a loop. I can no longer access the WCU or the phone's GUI beyond the below mentioned circumstances.

The following messages appear "Welcome! 7 seconds until autoboot!" and, once the countdown finishes, "Waiting for the network to initialize..." before starting the whole loop over again. Below these messages I will see the following three soft keys: Start, Setup, and About.  It's been frustrating trying to make any changes as I've less than a few seconds to actually view, implement, and save a change. When I check the About softkey, I see both the Server and IP Address field resolving.

Performed both a trace and ping and the phone itself/the phone configuration appears to be the issue as far as I can tell. The default gateway the phone would normally use simply responds that the destination host is unreachable. I also understand, per the Admin Guide for UCS 5.5.0 (I have been unable to locate an extensive 5.5.1 guide) the following:

"Incorrect configuration can put the phones into a reboot loop. For example, server A has a configuration file
that specifies that server B should be used, and server B has a configuration file that specifies that server
A should be used."

I'm not sure what changed between implementing these changes via the WCU versus the .xml files or what settings I should be looking at/changing in order to halt the loop. The provisioning server address works soundly when set via the WCU, but when I populated it with the above configuration, the loop started up.

I have attempted the following:

+ Powered the phone off/on
+ Reverting the above values back to their original settings (e.g. Server Type is FTP, Server Address is blank, etc.)

+ Factory Resetting via Setup softkey > Admin Password > Reset to Defaults > Reset Settings

+ Press and holding the 0, 1, and 3 dialpad keys simultaneously ot initiate a factory reset

+ Entered in our local DNS server address as none appeared to populate
+ Combed through the FAQ section of this site looking for a similar fix/situation, including:

+ Re-entered the configuration values from above via the phone Setup, including changing the server address name to IP address, set the Boot Server from 'Static' to 'Custom + Opt 66'

My Questions:

1) Is there a way to reset the device settings specifically, back to their defaults? Not the configuration files, but rather the device files?

2) What other parameters would be impacted by my above changes in the configuration files as opposed to the WCU interface?

3) Would performing a file format and reloading my UC Software 5.5.1 Rev Q directly to the phone provide a similar function of resetting the configuration?

4) When I configure device parameters in a section, do I need to change ALL of these parameters or (as above) only the select parameters? I was under the assumption that if a parameter was not explicitly specified, these parameters would retain their default values/not be impacted by my above configuration.

5) How do I stop this loop?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

What we ended up doing for this reboot loop included the following:

• Download the Polycom UC Software Package which we wanted to upload to the phones
  • Set up an internal FTP server
  • Add the UC Software Package to the FTP server
  • Complete Factory Reset/File Format of the VVX 601 (thus no firmware package was available/on the device)
  • Pointed the VVX 601 to our temporary FTP server contianing the UC Software 
    • Configured Server Type: FTP
      • Administration Settings > Login > Network Configuration > Provisioning Server 
    • Configured Server Address as our internal FTP server
    • Configured User and Password
      • NOTE: For each of the above settings, give the count-down timer to actually make and Save changes before the boot loop re-initiated and wiped out all settings, I had to get past the intial loop screen by launching into Administration Settings, login to the Admin account, and then configure say, the Server Type, then back out of the setting to a Save Config screen and hit Save before the loop started over again.  Did this for each individual setting so as to retain the changes. 
  • Downloaded and re-provisioned the VVX 601 to be functional again (i.e. ended the boot loop and allowed us to actually work with the web UI/device for provisioning with our chosen vendor)

The above resolved our issue as we had multiple, brand new phones with this same issues of getting stuck in a boot loop.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello Polycom Quest,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

It would be of interest what Value you are adding for 

ProvisioningServerAddress

Is this a full URL aka with HTTPS or just the address part?

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 10, 2011 Question: How can I reset / Factory default my Phones configuration?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above should get you out of the boot loop.

If you still struggle please open a support case.

In order to raise a support ticket you need to work with your Polycom reseller as they need to do this for you.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter please post either your phone's MAC address or your Polycom devices serial so I can look up who would be able to support you.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Steffen, 

First, thank you for your response.  With regard to your question of the value for the ProvisioningServerAddress, I did not input the full URL (https://...), but rather, only the address (i.e. server.domain.com). As mentioned in the OP, I'm perplexed as to why an xml file using the same address would produce this weird loop. It was the same exact address. *shrug*

I did try the factory reset with the 1, 3, and 5 dialpad keys.  No luck unfortunately. As for the article you linked, it looks like the display isn't showing Reset Local Configuration or Reset Web Configuration for the phone. I've tried resetting the generic Reset Settings option which did not resolve the loop. My next thought would be to try to Format File System, but I'm a little hesitant to do this without some step-by-step instructions.

Is it possible to download the UC software for the phone itself to a USB thumb drive, perform Format File System, and upload the software from that thumb drive?

Per the linked instructions, this option says it will require downloading the software from the provisioning server to which, at present, the phone is unable to connect due to the loop. 

HP Recommended

Hello Polycom Quest,

when you can see this screen:

Counting down then is the time to press 1,3 and 5 at the same time for 2 Seconds.

You will then be prompted for:

Enter 456 as this is the standard password (we do not disclose how to reset this) and the phone will reset.

If the above never happens or it still does not reset please provide me with the MAC Address as already asked.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Yes, I did perform the reset at the counting down screen, was prompted, and entered in the admin password accordingly.  This did not resolve the loop unfortunately. 

MAC:

Edit: MAC  removed.

HP Recommended

Hello Polycom Quest,

The VVX600 in this case was sold via SCANSOURCE COMMUNICATIONS back in 28/09/2013 so it is well out of warranty.

You can contact Scansource as they can raise a PPI / Pay Per Incident ticket with Polycom support but looking at your configuration it seems you have no password set.

Or is it another password as the prompt usually only disappears if the wrong password is added but I believe it tells you this.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

Thank you.  I will contact my vendor(s) accordingly and raise a support ticket. 

Would you be able to clarify some of my previous questions?  Specifically, regarding the Format File System as well as some of those in the OP? 

HP Recommended

Hello Polycom Quest,

in order to format the file system you require a local copy of the firmware and access to the menu. As you have not got this you cannot do this.

The VVX phones cannot upgrade their software from USB.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

HP Recommended

What we ended up doing for this reboot loop included the following:

• Download the Polycom UC Software Package which we wanted to upload to the phones
  • Set up an internal FTP server
  • Add the UC Software Package to the FTP server
  • Complete Factory Reset/File Format of the VVX 601 (thus no firmware package was available/on the device)
  • Pointed the VVX 601 to our temporary FTP server contianing the UC Software 
    • Configured Server Type: FTP
      • Administration Settings > Login > Network Configuration > Provisioning Server 
    • Configured Server Address as our internal FTP server
    • Configured User and Password
      • NOTE: For each of the above settings, give the count-down timer to actually make and Save changes before the boot loop re-initiated and wiped out all settings, I had to get past the intial loop screen by launching into Administration Settings, login to the Admin account, and then configure say, the Server Type, then back out of the setting to a Save Config screen and hit Save before the loop started over again.  Did this for each individual setting so as to retain the changes. 
  • Downloaded and re-provisioned the VVX 601 to be functional again (i.e. ended the boot loop and allowed us to actually work with the web UI/device for provisioning with our chosen vendor)

The above resolved our issue as we had multiple, brand new phones with this same issues of getting stuck in a boot loop.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.