Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am trying to avoid running a new ethernet cable in my home office, and wanted to find out if there was any way to hook my voip phone into a wireless network.

I have heard there are issues with a wireless setup, but have not gotten any good answers as to why it won't work (with a connection of reasonable speed).

TIA

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Most likely it will work fine using a wireless ethernet bridge. I have used a phone on a Linksys WET610n bridge and it works great on my home network.

If your wireless network has lots of clients, lots of congestion or interference, and/or heavy traffic it is possible you could have voice quality issues or hear audiodelay as the phone increases or exceeds its buffer capacity to accomidate the severe jitter that can be encountered on wireless networks in these circumstances. If your AP and Wireless bridge support WMM, you have some options to overcome these problems should you encounter them, but wireless QoS can be quite an involved (and highly implementation-specific) topic, especially with consumer-level gear.

If you should ever need to have large numbers of phones on your wireless network, need to roam between APs frequently, etc. you need to consider both enterprise-grade managed access points and purpose-built wireless ip phones such as Polycom's SpectraLink Wi-Fi phones. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response!

My network is pretty simple, and does not/will not have multiple voip phones or other complications.  The WMM feature does sound worthwhile for this application. 

My work involves a lot of webex web demos featuring cad software that is pretty graphics-intensive, and I can't have the VOIP quality degraded during one of my presentations.  We use UVERSE "MAX" account measured at 9.5mbps down and 1.5mbps up (measured on a wireless connection on my laptop), and have had no issues with the system when it was hardwired. What I am looking for is a wireless bridge I can put on my desk and plug the VOIP phone and laptop into it and get close to the same network performance as the wired setup.

Are there any specific models of wireless bridges that you'd recommend? I am receving the wireless signal from the 2wire wireless router provided by ATT.  The Linksys WET610N seems like a viable option, as does the netgear WN604 or 802, but the reviews are mixed.  I want to get the best product so I know when I test it that I am testing the best option.  

Thanks again for your help!

HP Recommended

It's likely on your network that any quality problem will not be due to a lack of WMM, but instead due to congestion on your internet bandwidth. Again, explaining the million different ways you can do QoS on your internet connection is really out of the scope of this forum, but suffice to say for your application you'd likely need to at least make sure that outgoing RTP gets priority over the webex stuff, and pretty much any (good) home router has a few options for doing that.

As far as selecting a bridge goes, I found the WET610n to be a good and capable product when I bought one a couple of years ago. I use it with a WRT610N router. I haven't ever had to reset it or had any issues whatsoever.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.