Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi!

I am planning to design my network in which I have CMA 4000, CMA Desktop client for remote sites, and HDX 8000 series also.

My question is: Do I have to use an additional RMX 2000 in my network or not? Can CMA 4000 play the role of RMX 2000?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If you want to bring multiple sites into the same call, you will need to have an RMX on the network for CMA to create the conference.   Also, having the RMX in the mix will allow you to create multiple "Meeting Rooms" that would allow for easy reservationless conferences.

Gary M

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

If you want to bring multiple sites into the same call, you will need to have an RMX on the network for CMA to create the conference.   Also, having the RMX in the mix will allow you to create multiple "Meeting Rooms" that would allow for easy reservationless conferences.

Gary M

HP Recommended

CMA and RMX has absolutely different roles. The main CMA role is to control the VC network (registrations, permissions, management, provision, reports, etc.) It has nothing to do with the audio/video streams directly. On the contrary RMX (or any other MCU) work with audio/video: it provides the multipoint capabilities to the VC network.

Please note that if you need to have only small multipoint conferences (no more then 4 participants in a session) you can use the HDX 8000 built-in MP option.

HP Recommended

Do I understand correctly?

1. CMA Desktop clients register to CMA 4000

2. When setting up a conference call, CMA Desktop Clients dial in to MCU for join the meeting or the MCU dials out  to connect CMA clients and HDXs to join in the meeting.

3. CMA Clients play the role as HDX 8000 series.

HP Recommended

<1. CMA Desktop clients register to CMA 4000>

Yes, that is correct.  You MUST register your CMA Desktop client to a CMA.   As noted, CMA provides the provisioning (configuration) for the desktop client.

<2. When setting up a conference call, CMA Desktop Clients dial in to MCU for join the meeting or the MCU dials out  to connect CMA clients and HDXs to join in the meeting.>

CMA Desktop does not require an MCU to place a Point to Point call (one site calling another). 

<3. CMA Clients play the role as HDX 8000 series.>

CMA Desktop is an H.323/SIP client that is able to call to any other standards compliant endpoint.  CMA Desktop does not have all the advanced features that room based hardware endpoints might have but will communicate well.

HP Recommended

1. Which types of Microphone I can use for my CMA Desktop Client (NOT the types of integrated microphone shown in datasheet)? Please recommend me some types of microphones which can use for 3 to 4 people at a site.

2. Can I use TV for both purposes display and speaker? or I have to buy a seperated speaker? Can I use a HDMI port to connect PC to TV to receive both audio and video stream?

3. What is different between Polycom Telepresence M100 Desktop application and CMA Desktop Client?

HP Recommended

1,2. You can use any kind of peripheral equipments (mics, speakers, displays, cameras, etc) that can be connected to and supported by your PC. But keep in mind that there is a risk to have the echo listen on the far side when using loudspeakers and sensible mics. It's one of  causes why it's not recommended to use the PC software as a group VC system.

3. Difference between m100 and CMAD is the way of licensing. For use m100 you you need a separate license for each PC while CMAD take the license from CMA Server.

HP Recommended

Can I setup my Video conference network via IPSec VPN connections?

My topology is a star model with 24 remote sites and a headquarter. The VPN equipments are Sophos Astaro ASG625 at the center and 24 RED devices (Remote Ethernet Device) at remote sites. 

My Internet connections are FTTH.

I am wondering, because my Polycom distributor in Vietnam said that they've ever have  a case study who tried to setup a conference (using RMX2000 and HDX 8000s) via VPN connections but it was not success. They added that  RMX could dial out to HDXs through VPN connections but the call dropped immediately after that. They didn't know why.

So, if there is anyone who has experience about setting up VC network via VPN tunnels, please give me some advices. should I use VPN techniques or not?  

HP Recommended
Hi, if you are planning to add more video bridge so you can also add DMA in the network.it would make you able to do virtual cascascading of bridge and do load balancing. Regards Yashpal
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.