Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

My client currently uses VMRs on RMX2000 (v8.5.4) to interconnect:

• Internal Polycom videoconference endpoints (HDX and Group Series mainly) registered in H.323 (soon SIP-TLS) on DMA7000
  • Internal Lync 2013 clients registered on Lync server 2010.
  • Cisco Telepresence Rooms registered in a CUCM but it is not important for this post

The interconnection is done through a SIP-TLS tunnel between the Lync server and DMA7000 server.

My client wants to migrate its Lync 2013 clients to Skype for business clients without upgrading the Lync server 2010…

I would like to determine all impacts that this migration would implicate on the interconnection between Polycom video endpoints and Microsoft video clients (interconnection still working ? content sharing ? quality of video etc.).

I am looking for some documentation to help me determine these impacts. Sadly, because the target architecture is complex (Lync server 2010, S4B client, Interconnection with Polycom endpoints through RMX2000), it is very difficult to find some documentation about that. That is why I am asking for your help.

Do you know some documentation that could help me ? What searches should I do ?

Thank you for your help !

Arthur

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If I was doing this in your customer's environment, I would target the release notes for RMX 8.5.4 and verify the bridge supports Skype for Business 2015/2016 clients.

http://downloads.polycom.com/bridging_collab/rmx/relnotes/rmx_rn_8_5_4.pdf

From what I understand, there wasn't much changed in the media stream types and signaling from Lync 2013 to Skype for Business 2015. I believe it was more of a UI change for branding.

Routing and signaling won't change much, since your client's front end servers will still be talking to DMA and the RMX using the same path after the SfB client upgrade.

Here is also some hope from those release notes:

"Support for Skype for Business

All descriptions applicable for Lync 2013 are also applicable for Skype for Business."

Biggest thing would be to test a SfB 2015/2016 client dialed into a VMR with a standard's based endpoint. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If I was doing this in your customer's environment, I would target the release notes for RMX 8.5.4 and verify the bridge supports Skype for Business 2015/2016 clients.

http://downloads.polycom.com/bridging_collab/rmx/relnotes/rmx_rn_8_5_4.pdf

From what I understand, there wasn't much changed in the media stream types and signaling from Lync 2013 to Skype for Business 2015. I believe it was more of a UI change for branding.

Routing and signaling won't change much, since your client's front end servers will still be talking to DMA and the RMX using the same path after the SfB client upgrade.

Here is also some hope from those release notes:

"Support for Skype for Business

All descriptions applicable for Lync 2013 are also applicable for Skype for Business."

Biggest thing would be to test a SfB 2015/2016 client dialed into a VMR with a standard's based endpoint. 

HP Recommended

You can also check out the latest deployment guide as well. There is not an upgrade plan for Lync 2010 to Lync 2015 (S4B); however, there is a migration plan. The same sort of stuff that you did for Lync 2010, you would do for the new envirnoment which the deployment guide can help answer most of your questions. 

http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/strategic_partner_sol...

S.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your help Joe !

Arthur

HP Recommended

Thank you Simons !

Arthur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.