Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello All,

We are evaluating the Pano and it's pretty cool except a limitation we also have with the Trio regarding Airplay. Airplay supports peer to peer transmission for several years now (since iOS 8 and AppleTV released in 2013) and I wonder why it is not with Pano (and Trio).

It's perfectly clear both devices need to be in the same subnet in the documentation so I'm not asking if it should work but why Polycom decided to make it not work in P2P mode.

And I'm not asking for future development (I know, NDA blahblah), just if there is is a reason why it is not implemented (maybe licensing issue ?) 

Quite honestly, in most secured professional networks, Airplay without P2P is useless as iPhones will never be on the same network as the Pano device. And Miracast works just fine in these environment but as you know, iPhones are far more present than Android devices these environments.

If anybody has a clue, I'll be more than happy to hear about it.

Thanks

Stephen

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @StephenR,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The technology behind miracast simply utilizes the WiFi aka creates an Access Point to which the device can stream.

This is applicable to any miracast devices like Televisions etc. and utilizes the peer-to-peer Wi-Fi Direct standard.

AirPlay is a routeable protocol which both for Trio and Pano advertises via Bluetooth the route and IT needs to enable this to be routable.

The AirPlay FAQ contains information your IT Team can utilize depending what kind of network equipment you use.

Oct 05, 2017 Question:How can I Troubleshoot AirPlay issues on my Polycom Trio?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply Steffen,

As mentioned, I already read all the documents and statements from Polycom about AirPlay support. My question was about why Polycom doesn't support AirPlay P2P which is a kinda old evolution of AirPlay (again 2013/2014) and works more or less like Miracast, i.e. using WiDi (just type AirPlay P2P in Google to see it's been there for a long time). We have a bunch of AppleTV in my company to allow casting from iPhone/iPad and we don't need these to be connected to the same network, you just need WiFi and Bluetooth to be enabled, that's all. Works perfectly and this is just what users are expecting (neat and simple).

I'm expecting the same behavior from any AirPlay device and that's why we are surprised and I wand to emphasize on the fact that AirPlay through a corporate network is most of the time useless. iPhone are most often not connected to the corporate network.

So that's why I was wondering if whether this is because of a technical/legal constraint or just because Polycom missed it 🙂

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Hello Stephen,

Both the Trio or Pano are not Apple manufactured devices and as your own statement states that you can only do this to AppleTV devices suggest's that Apple does a similar thing as miracast aka creates it own WiFi AP / SSID and advertises this via Bluetooth.

Polycom uses a 3rd Party library and I am not aware that we support this functionality.

As for Roadmap I cannot talk about anything in public and can only advise you to get in touch with a Polycom Sales Engineer.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks Steffen,

For information (if anyone is looking for the information), the support page and excerpt about peer-to-play AirPlay. Maybe a Polycom developper will look into it 🙂

Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Use peer-to-peer AirPlay

With peer-to-peer AirPlay, your iOS device and Apple TV don't have to be on the same Wi-Fi network. 

To use peer-to-peer AirPlay, you need one of these devices with iOS 8 or later:

• iPhone 5 or later
  • iPad mini or iPad (4th generation or later)
  • iPod touch (5th generation or later)

You can stream content to your Apple TV (3rd generation rev A, model A1469 or later) with software version 7.0 or later. Find out which Apple TV model you have.

Make sure that both devices have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.

If you want to stream iTunes Store content, you also need an Internet connection.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.