Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

i have deployed a brand new PLC infrastructure for a customer: RMX2000, DMA, VBP-E and now they  want to integrate  Lync enviroment to RMX.

At this stage i only know that his Lync deployment is composed by several FEP behind a hardware load balancer, let say for example:

FEP1: fep1.lync.company.org

FEP2: fep2.lync.company.org

HLB : pool.lync.company.org

Also RMX FQDN : RMX.video.company.org

I was checking the integration guide and it seems not too complicated on RMX side, but still i'm not sure about what i should indicate on SIP server address: is it possible to use the HLB address? Am i forced to use a FEP?

Also, considering RMX and Lync are in 2 different DNS zones, what i'm supposed to put on the "server domain name"... company root domain (in this case company.org) or Lync specific zone (lync.company.org)?

The integration guide is a bit missleading, it states "enter the server domain name as defined in Lync and in Network management for DNS", but in this case Lync DNS dzones are different: lync.compan.org and video,company.org.

Thanks for your support.

Regards

Daniele

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

The Lync Pool FQDN should be used.  If there are any calling problems seen then it is recommended to change the SIP Server Address to one of the server FQDNs to remove the HLB from the scenario as depending on the HLB type and configuration it may not be a supported or tested device.

But this will only impact connections from the RMX to Lync (initial registration, outbound calls, VMR registration) and have no impact on incoming calls from Lync users to the RMX.  Calls from any server will be accepted regardless of the FQDn used on the RMX's side.

The Server Domain Name is typically the primary SIP domain defined in Lync, but more specifically it needs to be the same SIP domain used by any Lync accounts configured for the RMX (e.g. ICE Account, VMR registration accounts).

HP Recommended

Thanks Jeff,

so i assume i'll try first HLB FQDN, in case i'll notice communication problem RMX -> Lync, i'll pick one FEP.

Best regards

Daniele

HP Recommended

So let me make sure I understand what you are saying. So for example, if I have domain.com and domain.local and my AD is in domain.local, but say I installed Lync using domain.com as my SIP domain. So under Trusted application servers, should that be video.domain.com or video.domain.local?

Based on your statement  "...it needs to be the same SIP domain used by any Lync accounts configured for the RMX (e.g. ICE Account, VMR registration accounts).", this would be domain.local as the accounts created for ICE and VMR were AD accounts.

But they were Lync enabled in the domain.com... so confused.

HP Recommended

Hi again guys,

unfortunately something went wrong and SIP trunk keep failing... we are still investing on this. I want to share some information with you, looking for some good advice.

Error message:

General          Major                   Alarm generated by a Central Signaling componentCSMngrSIP TLS: No response from Registration server (cs id 1)

I'm attaching a screenshot of actual scenario and some signaling log from RMX (provided that  ports are opened on all network nodes.We also connected laptops on Lync and RMX subnet launching Telnet to check ports).

I also have screen of Lync config... in case you would need more details.

Best regards

HP Recommended

In short it doesn't matter what you use as the Trusted Application FQDNs, only the MatchURI really matters.  Yet the SIP domain namespace that the RMX is pointed to 'register' against via it's configuration is defintely important.

The AD account's User Principal Name are irrelevant, only the SIP Address is important.  The domains used to identify the server does not have to match the SIP domains used to identify the users.

I suggest reading this article as I've explained the concept of namespaces in detail including best practices:

http://blog.schertz.name/2011/10/lync-3rd-party-video-interop/

HP Recommended

Jeff,

this is really good stuffs! 🙂

I was still "chained" to OCS best practices, i.e. different SIP domains for MS and Polycom devices... now we can work straight forward using the same SIP domain.

Couple of questions:

It's mandatory to define RMX rooms in AD in order to be dialed?

If i understood your blog correctly, AD is used to simplify user dialing and for room presence. Once i have defined Application pool, certificates and static route i should be ready and set to dial from Lync to an RMX, ie:

Lync SIP domain: lyncexample.com

RMX SIP domain: lyncexample.com

RMX room: 1234 (not defined in AD)

Lync user pattern: name.surname

Lync client dial 1234@lyncexample.com

1) Lync user table is checked

2) no result found, so passing on static routing

3) lyncexample is matched so it's forwarded to the related trusted application FQDN

4) 1234 is found and call should be connected

Jeff, could you please verify if this is right?

Thanks and regards

HP Recommended

No it is not mandatory.  And VMR defined in the RMX can be called buy using the route@matchuri format (e.g. 1001@sipdomain.com or 1001@video.sipdomain.com).  There simply will not be presence shown for these video calls.  By registering a defined VMR to Lync then the expeirence is even more native for Lync users (presence and address book inclusion).

The example steps you've included are correct.

HP Recommended

Thanks Jeff,

we are working on this implementation (now fixing ports issues on security appliaces), still a few clarification on RMX side configuration:

1)Polycom support says that destination server should be indicated using an FQDN, namely:

"SIP server and Outbound Proxy Server addresses. These should not normally be IP addresses but "A records" that are entered here. Microsoft uses FQDN names as part of its certificate process"

Is this mandatory? Could you explain simply words how this SSL challenge is working?I have created a lab in my company, and i'm using plain IP addresses, and it's working good.

2)Server domain name

Is this a some sort of matchUri on Polycom side?

Thanks, your advices are golden.

Daniele

HP Recommended

Hi

I can see you had the same problem as i have now, getting this error message: No response from Registration server (cs id 1)

In the lync server we can see that our certificate is wrong. Our installation is with RMX outside a multi Front end server network with a loadbalancer in between. We have made the certificate on one of the FrontEnd servers and loded into RMX.

Did you manage to fix the problem? Any good advice?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.