Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Set a hostname on MGC participant for a H.323 connection

Occasional Contributor

Set a hostname on MGC participant for a H.323 connection

Hello.

We use a MGC+50 and we have some VSX that we use in different locations and consequently may use a different VLAN and get a different range of IP based on the location.

So, to maintain a easy management we are thinking about using a dynamic DNS update (the DHCP server, which gives the IP address, updates the hostname in the DNS server with the actual IP) to manage the VSX and its dynamic IP but to do that we will need to set a hostname for the participant in the MGC H.323 session.

As far as i know, the only option in the MGC participant for a H.323 session is to set an IP Address and there's no field for a hostname. Is that correct? If so, how can i make the MGC participant management simple in this scenario? 

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Honored Contributor

Re: Set a hostname on MGC participant for a H.323 connection

IMHO the best and simpliest way for use H.323 in the DHCP environment is the use of gatekeeper and the E.164 numbers permanetly assigned to the codecs and MCU. The Polycom CMA as a gatekeeper is a good choice.

WBR,
Mike
--------------------------------------------
“Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns- the ones we don't know we don't know.”
― Donald Rumsfeld
Message 2 of 2