Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

polylily
Valued Contributor

learning.pngRecently, I have attended a training class at Polycom about Search Engine Optimization (SEO). I found the information extremely useful. So I am sharing some of the quick tips here.

1) Understand how web users read.  Actually, they don't read, they scan, in "Z" motion - left to right, top to bottom. So put the most important content at the top and less important info at the bottom, like an inverted pyramid.  Chunk up information by using 3-7 bullets or list for easy reading.

2) Use Google Keyword Planner (used to be called Keyword Tool) to find related keywords.  A lot of times, long tail keywords are more valuable than just head terms.

3) Pay attention to Title Tag and Meta Data.  Make sure they are relevant.  Most search engines display the first 65-70 characters of a title tag, so need to place the first couple of words wisely.  In the description, include the primary target keyword.

4) Header Tag, also commonly known as "H1" or simply " page title", is the most visible tag on page. Often, header tag is short, 2-4 words at most.  So select the title carefully and make sure it accurately reflects the content of the page.

5) Use a keyword density tool, such as Live Keyword Analysis. Also, pay attention to keyword proximity, example, for keywords "video" and "conferencing", putting "video conferencing" together is better than breaking them up like, "video" system for conferencing".  Keyword prominence is also a factor.  Put the keyword in the beginning of a sentence is good.  Keyword frequency also helps but be mindful not go overboard! 

6) If your content has a global audience in different areas of the world, then be mindful of other countries' languages and standards.  For better translation, keep the content short and simple and avoid using unnecessary slangs or jargons. 

7) Strategic internal linking is also a key factor. Some people create hyperlinks that says "Click here", or "Learn more".  These are great call-to-actions for graphics such as a button. However, for hyperlinks, it is better to be "textual" so that the hyperlink is actually descriptive. 

Lots of things for me to think about.... :)

social sharing buttons
Announcements
Welcome to the Poly Support Community!

This community is open to Poly partners and end customers. It is the place to connect and discuss latest news, updates and best practices about Poly products.

As a first time user, please get familiar with our Community Guidelines and Terms of Use by clicking here.