Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

2 KWS300 units in the same building

Occasional Advisor

2 KWS300 units in the same building

In order to save some money, we decided to purchase two bundles of 4 KIRK 4040 phones + 1 KWS300. Now we have 8 KIRK 4040 phones & 2 KWS300 units. We have half of the phones configured to connect to 1 KWS300 & half are connecting to the other. Does anyone know whether this should work fine or whether this setup is prone to errors/interference? It is my understanding that DECT is very robust & reslient when it comes to interference, and as a result I didn't expect that we'd have any trouble with this.

Generally we don't, but we just had 1 KWS300 that we had to reboot because all of its phones were hearing a lot of static, although the far-end caller wasn't hearing any static. Power-cycling the KWS300 restored clear call quality.

I would like to know if it is problematic or a bad design to have 2 KWS300 units in the same building.

Thanks,

-

Doug

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Frequent Advisor

Re: 2 KWS300 units in the same building

I'm assuming your building is not too big and that one KWS300 provides coverage of the entire building.

A few simple rules:

Mount the base stations vertically on a wall with the cable pointing down - the aerials are ground orientated and this will give the best coverage

Mount them at LEAST 1.5m apart or further if possible - transmitter power is high close to the source hence in theory this could interfere with one another.  Also keep away from other transmitters even if not DECT.

Other DECT will interfere if there are too many transmitters in one area or they are badly designed - there is a max channel space for DECT and if other transmitters are present eg) Home DECT type phones with their own transmitters - it is rare but if you have a lot of these (6 or more in an area) about it might be causing your issue, try switching them off.

Generally DECT is fantastic for VOICE with great reliability and these cases are rare...

ICON - UK SpectraLink Wireless Distributor
icon-plc.co.uk
Message 2 of 5
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't tied to mount them as you recommended, but I will. However,it has been nearly two weeks since I posted the problem, and the static issue has not returned. In the meantime, I did update the firmware on each unit from PCS08 to PCS09. I don't know whether that may have helped. But otherwise, the 2 KWS300 units are actually still setting on a shelf with the ethernet cable coming out of the side (rather than oriented towards the ground as you recommended), and the two units are actually stacked right on top of eachother.

So this is obviously about as far away from your recommendation as we could get! :-) Still, no static (that I'm aware of) for 2 weeks. They should have let me know if there was anything significant.

Could the interferernce possibility you describe be something that would only happen periodically such as monthly, or once every two months? I really don't know ANYTHING about DECT channel spectrum, etc. Do the KWS units change channels periodically, which could explain how interference could cause an issue like this?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Sincerely,

-

Doug

Message 3 of 5
Frequent Advisor

Hi Doug

Glad to here all is well.

All my comments are "best practices" so its never a black and white thing. 

Definately move them apart and DO not stack them. They may work fine but then you may have the issue you have seen from time to time.  I'm only talking about 1.5 m apart.

Ref you question about the DECT spectrum and channels

This could relate to other DECT but given what you have just said I'd move them apart before considering any other interference.

ICON - UK SpectraLink Wireless Distributor
icon-plc.co.uk
Message 4 of 5
Occasional Advisor

OK. I'll do it & post back my results.

Thanks again!

Message 5 of 5