Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

IP Base Station: support of 10 Mbit/s on Cat3-cable

schuetzm
Occasional Contributor

IP Base Station: support of 10 Mbit/s on Cat3-cable

Hello,

can we run an IP Base-Station with 10 Mbps on an old Cat3 cabling-system or is 10/100 and Cat5 required?

Background for that question is the existing cabling infrastructure at our customer. He'd like to migrate to an IP-based DECT solution without changing the cables between the cabinet and the outlets.

Thanks in advance and regards

Matthias

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SteffenBaierUK
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: IP Base Station: support of 10 Mbit/s on Cat3-cable

Hello Matthias,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

From the Installation Guide:

Transmission length is up to 100 meters/329 feet according to IEEE 802.3u on a twisted pair cable, e.g. cat.5e.

The base station is a class 1 PoE device (802.3af) and must be powered accordingly (maximum power supply consumption
3.0W according to PoE 802.3af).

The radius coverage of the base station is up to 90 meters/295 feet indoor and up to 300 meters/984 feet outdoor, with a
handset in line-of-sight.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. All posts and words are my own & do not represent the views of Employer.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 2 of 4
schuetzm
Occasional Contributor

Hello Steffen,

thanks for that feedback. Does this mean the answer is "NO"?

One more question: Does a test make make sense?

regards

Matthias

Message 3 of 4
SteffenBaierUK
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Hi Matthias,

I would recommend to contact your reseller to liaise directly with KIRK support as they would have to agree with the kind of installation in order for you to receive any support.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

----------------
The title Polycom Employee & Community Manager is a community setting and does not reflect my role. I am just a simple volunteer in the community like everybody else. All posts and words are my own & do not represent the views of Employer.

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 4 of 4