Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Incoming call on gateway IP

Highlighted
Occasional Visitor

Incoming call on gateway IP

We've had a situation pop-up when a video call is happening between two internal sites, where an incoming call window will pop-up (4-8 times in a 2 hour meeting), that incoming call is listed as the gateway IP. We've create a DMZ subnet for video conferencing/calls that allows outside calls, nothing blocked. Obviously this message is concerning as it could be an outside threat trying to gain access into our network. So my questions are: has anyone experienced this? Is it a bug in the equipment software or should it be viewed as an infiltration attack? Is there a way to configure access so that outside calls can be accepted without risking infiltration? Currently the meeting attendees just decline the call attempt. 

As I mentioned this seems to only happen when the video calls are between two internal sites. The equipment on one site is a Soundstation 2 with a module connecting to both the wall jack and Soundstation 2. The equipment ont the other sides is a Soundstation Premier, with no module. 

I have part and serial numbers of each unit, but unfortunately I can't provide software revs at this time. I'm a networking engineer brought into this because of the incoming gateway call, not the person who maintains the rev levels on the devices themselves.

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Polycom Employee & Community Manager

Re: Incoming call on gateway IP

Hello JenniMcW,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I am unsue how the SoundStations would have anything to do with any messages on the screens as they are both analog Phones that would have no real connection to a codec.

In addition it would be usefull to know what Video codecs we are discussing here.

A wireshark trace from a spanned port should show you what IP address the call is coming from and also if this is a SIP call or a H.323.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

----------------

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.
Please also ensure you always check the VoIP , Video Endpoint , Skype for Business , PSTN or RPM FAQ's
Message 2 of 2