Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

UPDATE

from February 2023

Product ID Long Description
2215-88019-001 Poly External Mic Cable Extender Kit - A pair of dongles that allow extending the Poly Expansion Mic with standard Ethernet cables of up to 30m. For use with Poly PN 2200-69631-001

Hi,

We've purchased the Expansion Microphone (2200-69631-001) that can be connected with the Polycom Studio. In the box there is a RJ-12,  24 ft long cable that came with it (2457-69573-001) but because of our installation the cable is not long enough. We had a 50 ft RJ-12 cable in stock so i've tried this cable but for some reason it doesn't seems to work. The cable pin out seems to be the same but there is no power going into the expansion microphone when we are using our own cable. We've tested the cable with a cable tester and the cable is good.

I was wondering if there is any specifications available about the cable use to connect the Studio to an expansion microphone ? I'm looking for details about the cable pin out, shield requirement, cable max lengh but I couldn't find anything online. Any idea where i could find this information ?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For those interested i've received the following information from our rep:

Polycom is not using normal cable for Debut  Micpod, it’s customized 

1. Wires 1, 3, 6 for microphones are specially shielded for voice transmission quality  
  2. The outer shield – the invisible 7th wire – is used as GND signal. 

If other 6P6C cable is used, it might work if with luck. But typically the voice quality might be impaired (reason 1) or it just doesn’t work(reason 2).

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

For those interested i've received the following information from our rep:

Polycom is not using normal cable for Debut  Micpod, it’s customized 

1. Wires 1, 3, 6 for microphones are specially shielded for voice transmission quality  
  2. The outer shield – the invisible 7th wire – is used as GND signal. 

If other 6P6C cable is used, it might work if with luck. But typically the voice quality might be impaired (reason 1) or it just doesn’t work(reason 2).

HP Recommended

Looking to see if there was a resolution to this. It is marked as solved, but no specific resolution is documented...

HP Recommended

We have a client that requires a 15M cable if we can source one in the UK.  The current cable with the MicPod is not long enough and as shown above an RJ12 cable will not do the job.

HP Recommended

We were able use double the length by connecting two 2457-69573-001 with a jumper made of two cat 6 shielded connectors and short piece of Cat6 shielded cable.  The RJ12 was wide enough to touch the side of the connector to provide continuity for the shield which Poly seems to be using for the power to the microphone. Possibly something like this barrel below would work? (maybe just need to pry the side contacts a bit if it is not so tight.)

Tripp Lite Cat6 Straight-Through Modular Shielded Compact In-Line Coupler (RJ45 F/F), TAA https://www.tripplite.com/support/N234001SH

HP Recommended

Hello all,

please remember any extension is at your own risk and not supported by Poly as we cannot ensure the integrity of the products used.

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Does any one know if a "standard" shielded RJ 11 cable would work?

Perhaps something like this;

https://www.amazon.com/C2G-28721-High-Speed-Internet-Meters/dp/B000083JZ0?th=1

I am also looking for a longer cable so we can complete a cable run that goes up and down the walls and hopefully through the floor to eliminate the trip hazard of a surface level line.

I do with they had a way to tie into a wireless microphone but I am not sure how that latency would impact the noise cancelation and virtual wall functions.

HP Recommended

Is that any solution to extend cable to 15 meter because it is required by one of our customers,please update me ASAP

HP Recommended

Hello all,

just an illustration of the Plug end on the Microphone cable

Best regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is there any official solution to this problem?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.