Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi Guys,

recently a customer approached my company asking to provide redundancy on a CMA 4000 device... (unfortunately they dont want to invest on a CMA5000).

We plan to provide one more CMA 4000 at the same software versionm and to keep it updated uploading system backup weekely... however i never tried to upload a system backup from one CMA to another... does it works? Or it's hardware dependant?

Thanks for your support.

Regards

-dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your support Simons.

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Unfortunately the restore would work, but after the reset of the CMA, you would brick it. The reason being database user accounts are different in each CMA server. Altough the names are the same, plcmuser for example, SQL does reference the user account by this name. The Master database contains the user accounts and the related GUID - global unique ID. Windows AD uses this same concept. The names are there for us simple human beings. This is why you need sysadmin level rights to create user accounts in SQL, because of the interaction with the Master DB. When you restore the DBs from one SQL server to another, the internal references to the GUIDs are not updated as the Master DB did not change as well.

What I have done in the past is to set one CMA server up and use external SQL for DBs. Then you can use whatever SQL replication or HA feature you like. In my case, we used SQL log shipping to mirror the database to another location. There we have another CMA turned off. If the primary CMA server went down, changes were made to failover to the other SQL server. The we would bring up the passive CMA and configure it for the failed over SQL server. Of course this is a manual process, but this gave us geographic redundancy which was more important.

S.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your support Simons.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.