Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have two single DMA Nodes in two different locations in a Super Cluster, set up to be back up for each other.

I need to configure two things:

• DNS
  • Lync Integration (Must Also be redundant)

What will work the best Option 1 or Option 2?

Option 1: Round Robin DNS setting with both DMA IP’s, Round Robin DNS name configured on both DMA’s, Certificate created with Round Robin DNS name, Lync configured with Round Robin DNS name, video devices SIP/H323 configured with Round Robin DNS name.

Option 2: Embedded DNS, how will I then get Lync redundancy into DMA Super Cluster? Is it possible to create two routes from Lync to each DMA?

And what is Polycom best practise?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Burt,

You have identified the exact 2 options which I have also implemented. The best practice is to use option 2, but there are times where the customer's I.T. organization will not allow embedded DNS, so Option 1 becomes the best option. The only downside in option 1 is that 50% (or whatever the weighted ratio is) is sent to the other Lync server. So WAN links become even more critical.

With option 2, you would integrate with callserver-<site>.<domain> as the FQDN of the DMA. If this DMA goes down, the other DMA simply changes the DNS records to reflect the its own IP address for the callserver record.

So customers have also used a F5 Load balancer for DNS for option 1 as this solves the DNS is not application aware issue which makes option 1 a load balance solution and not a high availability or failover solution with just using DNS.

S.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Burt,

You have identified the exact 2 options which I have also implemented. The best practice is to use option 2, but there are times where the customer's I.T. organization will not allow embedded DNS, so Option 1 becomes the best option. The only downside in option 1 is that 50% (or whatever the weighted ratio is) is sent to the other Lync server. So WAN links become even more critical.

With option 2, you would integrate with callserver-<site>.<domain> as the FQDN of the DMA. If this DMA goes down, the other DMA simply changes the DNS records to reflect the its own IP address for the callserver record.

So customers have also used a F5 Load balancer for DNS for option 1 as this solves the DNS is not application aware issue which makes option 1 a load balance solution and not a high availability or failover solution with just using DNS.

S.

HP Recommended

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi Burt !

Hope you're doing well !

I am working on a Polycom / Lync integration and was looking for answers regarding the design especially on DNS Load Balancing in DMA and the set up of SIP trunks with the DMA.

The Lync infrastructure (I am not in charge of this part) I have to integrate the DMA with comprises 4 Lync pools:

-       4 different Lync Datacenters (Lync Sites): EMEA, AMER, APAC and a disaster and recovery,

-       All 4 datacenters share the same SIP domain, asltom.com,

-       Each datacenter corresponds to a single Lync Pool

We have to set up a disaster and recovery solution or a high availability solution using these 4 datacenters.

To do so, we have to declare the DMA as a trusted application pool in each Datacenter ; as trusted application pool names must be unique across the DCs, we would need to create more than one DNS name by DMA : as a consequence these DNS names would be virtual DNS Names mentioned in the certificate uploaded in the DMA (TLS).

The DMA could use a single certificate, using SAN entries (alternate names) corresponding to the 4 potential application pools/computer we need in Lync topology.

=> do you think setting up 4 TLS SIP trunks would work ?

Does the DMA support (“understands”) the DNS Load Balancing as it is depicted in the link below ?

The Lync Pools I have to create SIP trunks with have a FQDN with multiple entries in the DNS, each referring to a separate front-end server within the pool. So, when setting up an external SIP peer, I have to specify either the IP address or the FQDN of the peer:

-       If using the FQDN of the Lync Pool, then this FQDN has multiple entries each referring to a separate front-end server. IF the DMA does not support the DNS LB, it will not understand the answer given by the DNS,

-       If using the IP address of the peer, then I have to set up as many external SIP peers as there are front-ends.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/nexthop/archive/2011/05/25/dns-load-balancing-in-lync-server-2010.aspx

By advance, thank you for your support !

Laurent

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.