Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am new to the Polycom world with some new infrastructure equipment consisting of a RMX, CMA, RSS, VMC, VBP-E, and VBP-ST appliances. My question is in regards to defining hostnames in DNS for some of these appliances. If I'm understanding the technology correctly, I would give my VBP-E appliance the name of video.domain.com for the outside world to use to communicate to me, while making my inside network (internal DNS) resolve video.domain.com directly to my CMA. Does anyone see any issue with that scenario?

Also, what would be a good name for my VBP-ST appliance on the outside for my external hosts to use since I'm already using video.domain.com for the E- series?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Cajun,

Generally, people will use an FQDN that resolves to their CMA and VBP ST. The ST is the registration proxy, so when you are outside the network, it serves as a gatekeeper for you.

The idea is that you set up all of your employees' CMA Desktop clients to use that FQDN, and they will be able to register to your CMA server directly when inside the network, and through your VBP ST when outside the network.

The VBP E doesn't have a counterpart inside the network, so there isn't much need to have a dual-mapped FQDN for it. It is simply used for internet calls to and from unregistered devices. So a user on the internet with no gatekeeper would call in through your VBP E, and calls out to that user would be routed automatically through your VBP E.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Cajun,

Generally, people will use an FQDN that resolves to their CMA and VBP ST. The ST is the registration proxy, so when you are outside the network, it serves as a gatekeeper for you.

The idea is that you set up all of your employees' CMA Desktop clients to use that FQDN, and they will be able to register to your CMA server directly when inside the network, and through your VBP ST when outside the network.

The VBP E doesn't have a counterpart inside the network, so there isn't much need to have a dual-mapped FQDN for it. It is simply used for internet calls to and from unregistered devices. So a user on the internet with no gatekeeper would call in through your VBP E, and calls out to that user would be routed automatically through your VBP E.

HP Recommended

Ok, had my thought process a little crossed on the CMA and VBP-E box, but follow you now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.