Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Fellow VTC-jockeys,

Here's a problem I am having with a CMA-4000, here is the situation;

I have attempted to create several address books on our company’s CMA. I followed the instructions as instructed on page 372 of the “Polycom CMA System Operation Guide” ver 6.0.0

This, is what the manual says;

“Use address books to limit access to people and endpoints. For example, you

can set up separate address books for each department in your organization.

Each address book would include only CMA users in that department and

only rooms in that department’s location.

If the CMA system has the Areas feature enabled, you can only associate users

and endpoints in the same Areas as you are in to address books.

Users not assigned the Administrator role will not be aware of address books.

They will see only those users (local and enterprise directory), endpoints,

rooms, groups, and guests in the same address book that the user is assigned

to.

To implement multiple address books, complete the following tasks

1 Add an Address Book

CMA system users assigned the Administrator role can create address

books and associate users (local and enterprise directory), endpoints,

rooms, groups, and guests with one or more address books. This process

controls where each entity appears as an address book entry.

2 Assign Address Books to Groups

CMA system users assigned the Administrator role can assign an address

book to a group. A group can be assigned to only one address book. This

process controls the address book that users and endpoints have access to.

3 Change Address Book Priority

CMA system users assigned the Administrator role can set the priority of

address books. The priority affects which address book a user has access

to. For example, if a user is a member of two different groups and each

group is assigned a different address book, the user can access the address

book that is higher in priority.”

Of course, I have looked into what the manual means by “Areas” (Which I found in page 345) and followed the instructions there as well.

Or at least, I think I did, because when I enable Areas, I am unable to see endpoints in monitor mode, and the Multiple addressbooks are simply not functional, in the sense that I can still “see” the other enpoints.

That being said, can anyone enlighten me to my errors?

Thanks in advance,

RCS-Toronto

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

RCS -

What is the issue you are having with multiple address books? One important thing to note which is not specifically spelled out in the ops guide is endpoint will only see 1 address book. You can have multiple address books, but only 1 will be presented to the endpoint based on the criteria you have posted above.

If you are looking to sort your address book more efficiently, I would recommed using groups which you can then make appear in the directory.

I would suggest staying away from Areas unless you have a DMA. You can associate address books,users, and devices to areas, but you can't associate an RMX to all areas. Only users can be a part of all areas or DMA MCU pools.

S.

HP Recommended

Thank you simon for your reply.

Here is the situation;

We have several groups that I wish to have seperate address books, as I do not wish to have them see a ton of unrelated usernames and endpoints.

I created two test groups in user groups, with each their own set of users, and assigned said groups to the addressbooks.

When I log in with CMA-desktop using the credentials of one user in one group I can somehow still see the entire roster of users and endpoints in my contact lists.

The question I have is, which setting have I overlooked?

HP Recommended

Toronto,

CMAD and RM clients don't use Global Address Book (GAB) for their directories. These clients perform LDAP queries against your LDAP/AD based directories.

Let me look into this to see if I can validate this or provide a workaround.

S.

HP Recommended

That will not be necessary Simon,

After some work on it, I got into the root of the problem. My user name had an associated role of a super-user and that granted me the ability to see everyone.

Once I made an account whose associated role was merely of a scheduler, I was able to have it assigned to one group to another after another and it could only see the content of the addressbook that I wanted it to see for that very user. All I had to do at that point was to just change that user's group and that was the end of it.

So I got my addressbooks and it's working fine now.

HP Recommended

Sweet - I am glad you got it working. For the sake of others tha tmight be trying to do this, can you share your directory lookup experience? For example, what do you see on the CMAD versus a regualr HDX?

S.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.