Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello.

We have got Polycom RSS 4000. We used it for a while. Recently we recieved a warning: Media space usage higher 95%. 

df says:

Total Space: 937GB (937883MB)
Used Space: 895GB (895010MB)
Free Space: 42GB (42873MB)
Usage Percentage: 95.43%

===

We deleted almost all videos from arhieves, but warning is still there, numbers in df stays almost the same and RSS 4000 doesnt record any video. 

How to free space?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I realize that this is a very old post but I wanted to take the opportunity to explain how the RSS 4000 frees up disk space.

When you have recordings that you no longer need and delete them from the GUI they are moved out of their normal folder to a trash folder. The trash folder is purged once every 24 hours. The timer for that 24 our purge clock starts when the RSS 4000 is booted. For example, let's say your system was booted at 8:00 am. At 10:00 am you delete some recordings. You will  not notice a reduction in used disk space until the purge runs at 8:00 am the next day. If you reboot the RSS the timer will be reset. In the example I used let's say that you reboot the system at 5:00 pm after deleteing the files at 10:00 am. Now, instead of the trash folder being purged at 8:00 am the next morning it won't be purged until 5:00 pm the next afternoon.

HP Recommended

<p>are there any other ways to empty the trash folders except automatic deleting at the next start of the system??<p>

HP Recommended

Yes, the trash folder(s) can be deleted out of cycle but it requires shell access.

I also need to clear up your statement about "deleting at the next start of the system". That's not how it works. When the system starts up a timer is set for 24 hours. When the timer expires the trash folders will be cleared. They aren't cleared at startup. So, if you have a space issue and keep rebooting the system to try and free up space all you are doing is delaying the time when the deletion takes place.

HP Recommended

What are the shell commands?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.