Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

how can i factory restore the RSS4000 using the usb stick?

should i only put the software (.pkg) file on it and reboot while connecting? or there is a tool like the same on RSS2000?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi Ahmed,

Taken directly from the Polycom RSS 4000 System User Guide, page 53-54:

To restore the system to the factory default status:

Note:

Only the software version and system IP address can be reserved. You need an USB storage device to restore the system to the default settings. There is no requirement on USB device type and files it stores.

1. Connect the USB storage device to the USB port on the back panel of the

system.

2. Log in to the Admin UI, and then go to Admin > Shut Down, click Restart.

3. After the system restarts, log in to the system’s Admin UI again.

4. Configure the following settings:

5. Click Next. If you want to continue, click YES, and then click OK. Click Back to go back to the setting box.

6. Remove the USB storage device before the system restarts to complete restoration.

This User Guide may be found here for your convenience:

http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/user/products/network...

I hope this helps.

Thank You,

Michael West

HP Recommended

hi Mike,

that means to factory reset the RSS4000 i had to login to the Admin UI. the problem that I'm not able to login to the RSS

i used the user name and password provided by the customer, admin / admin, root / default, POLYCOM / POLYCOM

even tried the rescue mode but still not able to login to the admin UI.

is it mandatory to login to Admin UI in order to factory restore.

HP Recommended

Hi Ahmed-Shabana,

You can also Telnet to the RSS and use the command shutdown.

You can also use the command reboot as well. 

The password to log in via telnet is POLYCOM (case sensitive).

Once you have successfully Telnet into the RSS you can use the command help to show the valid commands available.

Then the procedure is the same as posted from the User Guide after the RSS has shutdown.

Thank You,

HP Recommended

What's the next step if the HyperTerminal prompt never comes up? We've following the settings that are listed in the Admin Guide. 

http://supportdocs.polycom.com/PolycomService/support/global/documents/support/user/products/network...

*page 105

ou need to configure the port settings, such as:
• Port: COM1 (basing on the port used)
• Baud rate: 115,200 bps
• Data bits: 8 bits
• Parity bit: None
• Stop bit: 1

If you have completed all the above configurations and launched the terminal simulation software successfully, press the Enter key. The login interface appears.

HP Recommended

where from i get (.pkg) reset file for RSS  factory restore 

Please suggest

HP Recommended

@Ahmed-Shabana wrote:

how can i factory restore the RSS4000 using the usb stick?

should i only put the software (.pkg) file on it and reboot while connecting? or there is a tool like the same on RSS2000?

where from i get (.pkg) reset file for RSS  factory restore 

Please suggest

HP Recommended

Hi Amit

acutaly the .pkg file is the RSS firmware. you can download it from the support.polycom.com

if the factory reset didn't work for you try to reset the Database but only if you have a backup for the videos or you don't want it. that is the way it works for me.

regards

HP Recommended

Hello Mike,

I would like to reset password RSS 4000 cos I can not access Web UI with any users (admin,...). I tried to telnet, and used RESET PASSWORD but it took a long time to run (i waited more than 40 mins) then can not finish.

Can you help how to reset password?

Thank you very much

Roger

HP Recommended

In case anyone was wondering like me, you just need a blank USB stick.  I used a blank 1GB stick and plugged it into one of the USB ports on back of RSS 4000.  I didn't have access to Admin UI or telnet, so I had to use console to open command line and used the restart command.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.