Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I am no longer able to log into the web admin with root and default. It says that "Authentication Failed". I am able to telnet and SSH into the IP address and log in with the root @#$%^&*!() but don't know what to do at that point. I have not changed the root password. I was in looking at some administration of the system and turned on the user and session management feature. I did not create an admin account or anything just looked at the area. My theory is that when I enabled that feature it disabled the root login for webadmin.

Is there a way to create a web administrator account through the telnet or SSH session with root login?

I would rather not default the whole system but I can if needed.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Try default as password
HP Recommended

Etraux, once you enable user management, the default "root" account is no longer activated. Once you turn the feature on (even before you create any users) it disables the root account and enables the "admin" account.

You should be able to log in using admin as the user and default as the password.

HP Recommended

What are the options if both root/default and admin/default is not working on Web GUI for VBP. I can console into the system.

thanks 

HP Recommended

got it:

cp /etc/default/guipasswd /etc/config/guipasswd     [Enter]

killall -1 boa [Enter]

will reset password to default username will be root for WebGui

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried the commands but when I log back into the WebGui neither root or admin works.

What did you do after you entered the commands ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.