Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

So I am trying to set up provisioning for these polycom phones. At one point I was finally able to get it so I didnt get the "invalid provisioning details" message however it was not able to login to the file server according to the logs. I then did some more research and made more changes but ultimately made it worse so I started over. Now at this point it cant even talk to the file server at all. I have Opt 66 set up with just the IP address of the files server(which is how I had it before I changed it), then I have the username, password and provisioning server IP entered in the phone(using web utility). Then I have the boot server option set to "custom+opt66". Now when I look at the logs I see its trying to boot from some random ip address: 49.48.46.55. It does have the correct server IP in the provisioning details. When I look at the configuration details on the phone it shows the boot server address of 49.48.46.55 like mentioned above instead of the file server IP. At one point before I started over, the boot server did show the correct IP but now it does not. It seems as though its not grabbing the dhcp option. 

Ive attached some logs. Any help would be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Amir.T ,

we also support the Vendor Option

Sep 13, 2016 Question: Do Poly Phones support the DHCP Option 60 Vendor Data Format?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

You should be able to set up your DHCP server to only server Polycom phones an option 161.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @Amir.T ,

welcome to the Poly Community.

Both the communities Must Read First and the FAQ reference the basic minimum information a new or follow up post should contain.

This ensures the questions having to be asked are limited and any new or follow up post contains the right amount of details to ensure any voluntary participant within the community does not spend additional time chasing basic information.

As a reminder the basic information asked for:

• Provide the exact Software Version of your Phone
  • Provide the Phone Model
  • Provide the Call Platform (aka openSIP,Teams, Skype for Business Online, Skype for Business on Premise, Lync)
  • Provide details if UC / SIP or ObiEdition
  • Additional Poly Infrastructure (RPRM,PDMS or BToE)
  • If applicable provide a backup of the phone in question

UC Software 4.0.0 or later via the Web Interface Utilities > Phone Backup & Restore > Phone Backup > Phone Backup. Please rename into .TXT or Zip the file to attach.
Since UC Software 5.9.0 simply provide this via the Web Interface Diagnostics > Download Support Information Package

• If possible provide a Log and either attach them or use the Code Tag.Consult the Troubleshooting Section found within the FAQ if applicable
  • If possible provide the MAC Address or Serial of the device
  • Provide details for example if the issue is a day 1 issue or only happened after an upgrade or any other relevant details
  • For questions around Support please check here

Whilst providing some of these details may not directly impact any possible answer the community can provide, it does enable Poly to have an overview of the current software used. In addition, providing all details at the same time allow us to check logs or look up potential support partners if an issue needs to come into support. It also enables us to verify the entitlement for using features.

Please ensure you always check the FAQ's and/or utilize the community search before posting any new topics or follow up posts.

Oct 7, 2011 Question: How can I setup my Phone / Provisioning / Download / Upgrade / Update / Downgrade Software?
Resolution: Please check => here <=

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Mar 08, 2013 Question: Where can I download configuration files from or create these myself?

Mar 08, 2013 QuestionWhat files does my phone download or upload and why?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Some additional info: 

Software version is: 5.6.0.17325

Model: VVX 501

Platform is Skype for business/Lync

Logs are attached

As mentioned in my original post I had started over at one point. Originally I didnt have the DHCP options set up with the format of: ftp://username:password@IP_Address.  So I tried it and thats when I started getting the message that provisioning details were invalid. 

I tried it again and still got the same result. Here are some more logs after I tried what was mentioned from @SteffenBaierUK

HP Recommended

Hello @Amir.T ,

The log shows nothing. I suggest you follow the FAQ as stated:

Poly Logs:

013527.204|dhcpc|3|00|dhcListener: Read succeeds: eth0 option: o-161 ftp://t590d:1@10.252.149.100

Setting the DHCP logging level as Settings > Logging > Module Log Level Limits > DHCP Client > Event 3 will show the received Option in the logs

The above will show you after a reboot if the phone received the DHCP Option.

You may also want to make the logs bigger:

Oct 11, 2011 Question: How can I troubleshoot configuration Issues via Log Files or the phone GUI?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

and

Oct 17, 2011 Question: How can change Logging Levels or use Syslog?

Resolution: Please check => here<=

And maybe forget the DHCP Option for now, manually add a server using the static selection.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended
<!-- Application SIP Finlay 5.6.0.17325 08-Jul-17 15:53 
 -->
<!-- Created 10-07-2019 16:21 
 -->
<PHONE_CONFIG>
<!--
 Note: The following parameters have been excluded from the export:
		device.auth.localUserPassword=""
		device.tr069.cpe.password=""
		device.tr069.acs.password=""
		device.pacfile.password=""
		device.net.dot1x.password=""
		device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdatePassword=""
		device.auth.localAdminPassword=""
		device.logincred.password=""
		device.prov.password=""

-->
 <DEVICE_SETTINGS device.set="1" device.auth.localUserPassword.set="0" device.tr069.cpe.password.set="0" device.tr069.acs.password.set="0" device.pacfile.password.set="0" device.net.dot1x.password.set="0" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdatePassword.set="0" device.auth.localAdminPassword.set="0" device.logincred.pin.set="0" device.logincred.pin="" device.logincred.password.set="0" device.prov.password.set="0" device.baseProfile.set="1" device.baseProfile="Lync" device.prov.serverType.set="1" device.prov.serverType="FTP" device.dhcp.enabled.set="1" device.dhcp.enabled="1" device.net.enabled.set="1" device.net.enabled="1" device.net.ipAddress.set="1" device.net.ipAddress="0.0.0.0" device.net.subnetMask.set="1" device.net.subnetMask="255.0.0.0" device.net.IPgateway.set="1" device.net.IPgateway="0.0.0.0" device.net.ipStack.set="1" device.net.ipStack="V4Only" device.net.preferredNetwork.set="1" device.net.preferredNetwork="V6" device.net.ipv6AddrDisc.set="1" device.net.ipv6AddrDisc="DHCP" device.net.ipv6PrivacyExtension.set="1" device.net.ipv6PrivacyExtension="EUI64" device.net.ipv6Address.set="1" device.net.ipv6Address="::" device.net.ipv6ULAAddress.set="1" device.net.ipv6ULAAddress="::" device.net.ipv6LinkAddress.set="1" device.net.ipv6LinkAddress="::" device.net.ipv6Gateway.set="1" device.net.ipv6Gateway="::" device.net.vlanId.set="1" device.net.vlanId="" device.net.cdpEnabled.set="1" device.net.cdpEnabled="1" device.net.lldpEnabled.set="1" device.net.lldpEnabled="1" device.net.lldpCapabilitiesRequired.set="1" device.net.lldpCapabilitiesRequired="1" device.net.lldpFastStartCount.set="1" device.net.lldpFastStartCount="5" device.net.etherVlanFilter.set="1" device.net.etherVlanFilter="1" device.net.etherStormFilter.set="1" device.net.etherStormFilter="1" device.net.etherStormFilterPpsValue.set="1" device.net.etherStormFilterPpsValue="38" device.net.icmp.echoRepliesMask.set="1" device.net.icmp.echoRepliesMask="1" device.net.etherModeLAN.set="1" device.net.etherModeLAN="Auto" device.net.etherModePC.set="1" device.net.etherModePC="Auto" device.dhcp.dhcpVlanDiscUseOpt.set="1" device.dhcp.dhcpVlanDiscUseOpt="Fixed" device.dhcp.dhcpVlanDiscOpt.set="1" device.dhcp.dhcpVlanDiscOpt="129" device.dhcp.dhcpv6VlanDiscOpt.set="1" device.dhcp.dhcpv6VlanDiscOpt="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt.set="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvUseOpt="Default" device.dhcp.bootSrvOpt.set="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvOpt="160" device.dhcp.bootSrvOptType.set="1" device.dhcp.bootSrvOptType="String" device.dhcp.option60Type.set="1" device.dhcp.option60Type="ASCII" device.prov.upgradeServer.set="1" device.prov.upgradeServer="" device.prov.serverName.set="1" device.prov.serverName="10.77.70.46:5540" device.prov.user.set="1" device.prov.user="pprovisioning" device.prov.password="XXXXXXXXXXXXX" device.prov.redunAttemptLimit.set="1" device.prov.redunAttemptLimit="3" device.prov.redunInterAttemptDelay.set="1" device.prov.redunInterAttemptDelay="1" device.prov.maxRedunServers.set="1" device.prov.maxRedunServers="8" device.prov.AutoProvEnabled.set="1" device.prov.AutoProvEnabled="0" device.prov.networkEnvironment.set="1" device.prov.networkEnvironment="1" device.prov.tagSerialNo.set="1" device.prov.tagSerialNo="0" device.cma.mode.set="1" device.cma.mode="Disabled" device.cma.serverName.set="1" device.cma.serverName="" device.cma.disableTlsForDebug.set="1" device.cma.disableTlsForDebug="0" device.ntlm.versionMode.set="1" device.ntlm.versionMode="v2" device.logincred.user.set="1" device.logincred.user="" device.logincred.domain.set="1" device.logincred.domain="" device.logincred.extension.set="1" device.logincred.extension="114" device.sec.TLS.OCSP.enabled.set="1" device.sec.TLS.OCSP.enabled="0" device.sec.TLS.FIPS.enabled.set="1" device.sec.TLS.FIPS.enabled="0" device.sec.TLS.protocol.dot1x.set="1" device.sec.TLS.protocol.dot1x="TLSv1_0" device.sec.TLS.protocol.syslog.set="1" device.sec.TLS.protocol.syslog="TLSv1_0" device.sec.TLS.protocol.prov.set="1" device.sec.TLS.protocol.prov="TLSv1_0" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuiteDefault1.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuiteDefault1="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuite1.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuite1="" device.sec.TLS.profile.caCertList1.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.caCertList1="All" device.sec.TLS.profile.deviceCert1.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.deviceCert1="Builtin" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuiteDefault2.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuiteDefault2="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuite2.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.cipherSuite2="" device.sec.TLS.profile.caCertList2.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.caCertList2="All" device.sec.TLS.profile.deviceCert2.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profile.deviceCert2="Builtin" device.sec.TLS.syslog.strictCertCommonNameValidation.set="1" device.sec.TLS.syslog.strictCertCommonNameValidation="1" device.sec.TLS.profileSelection.syslog.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profileSelection.syslog="PlatformProfile1" device.sec.TLS.prov.strictCertCommonNameValidation.set="1" device.sec.TLS.prov.strictCertCommonNameValidation="1" device.sec.TLS.profileSelection.provisioning.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profileSelection.provisioning="PlatformProfile1" device.sec.TLS.dot1x.strictCertCommonNameValidation.set="1" device.sec.TLS.dot1x.strictCertCommonNameValidation="1" device.sec.TLS.profileSelection.dot1x.set="1" device.sec.TLS.profileSelection.dot1x="PlatformProfile1" device.sec.coreDumpEncryption.enabled.set="1" device.sec.coreDumpEncryption.enabled="1" device.syslog.serverName.set="1" device.syslog.serverName="" device.syslog.transport.set="1" device.syslog.transport="UDP" device.syslog.facility.set="1" device.syslog.facility="16" device.syslog.renderLevel.set="1" device.syslog.renderLevel="4" device.syslog.prependMac.set="1" device.syslog.prependMac="0" device.sntp.serverName.set="1" device.sntp.serverName="time.windows.com" device.sntp.gmtOffset.set="1" device.sntp.gmtOffset="0" device.sntp.gmtOffsetcityID.set="1" device.sntp.gmtOffsetcityID="0" device.dns.serverAddress.set="1" device.dns.serverAddress="0.0.0.0" device.dns.altSrvAddress.set="1" device.dns.altSrvAddress="0.0.0.0" device.dns.domain.set="1" device.dns.domain="" device.hostname.set="1" device.hostname="" device.em.power.set="1" device.em.power="1" device.prov.ztpEnabled.set="1" device.prov.ztpEnabled="1" device.prov.curlPartialFileError.enabled.set="1" device.prov.curlPartialFileError.enabled="0" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateEnabled="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateUser.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateUser="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateDomain.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateDomain="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateExtension.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateExtension="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdatePin.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdatePin="" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateCredentialType.set="1" device.prov.lyncDeviceUpdateCredentialType="1" device.net.dot1x.enabled.set="1" device.net.dot1x.enabled="0" device.net.dot1x.method.set="1" device.net.dot1x.method="EAP-MD5" device.net.dot1x.identity.set="1" device.net.dot1x.identity="" device.net.dot1x.anonid.set="1" device.net.dot1x.anonid="" device.net.dot1x.eapFastInBandProv.set="1" device.net.dot1x.eapFastInBandProv="0" device.ipv6.icmp.genDestUnreachable.set="1" device.ipv6.icmp.genDestUnreachable="1" device.ipv6.icmp.echoReplies.set="1" device.ipv6.icmp.echoReplies="1" device.ipv6.icmp.ignoreRedirect.set="1" device.ipv6.icmp.ignoreRedirect="1" device.ipv6.icmp.txRateLimiting.set="1" device.ipv6.icmp.txRateLimiting="1000" device.feature.tr069.enabled.set="1" device.feature.tr069.enabled="0" device.tr069.acs.url.set="1" device.tr069.acs.url="" device.tr069.acs.username.set="1" device.tr069.acs.username="PlcmSpIp" device.tr069.cpe.username.set="1" device.tr069.cpe.username="PlcmSpIp" device.tr069.periodicInform.enabled.set="1" device.tr069.periodicInform.enabled="0" device.tr069.periodicInform.interval.set="1" device.tr069.periodicInform.interval="18000" device.tr069.upgradesManaged.enabled.set="1" device.tr069.upgradesManaged.enabled="0" device.tr069.upgradeUrl.set="1" device.tr069.upgradeUrl="" device.tr069.upgradeStatus.set="1" device.tr069.upgradeStatus="DontUpgrade" device.auxPort.enable.set="1" device.auxPort.enable="1" device.theme.set="1" device.theme="Classic" device.spProfile.set="1" device.spProfile="Default" device.serial.enable.set="1" device.serial.enable="1"/>
 </PHONE_CONFIG>

Update: 

So I did what was suggested and increased the log size and log level. This allowed me to see more information from the logs each time rather than sections of the log getting cut off. 

I also switched to static provisioning to ignore the DHCP options for now. I found that the phone was able to reach the server however there were errors saying it was not able to login to access the config files. I know the username and password were correct so this must be due to the way it access the server. 

So I realized I needed to add the port number to the end of the IP addresses. This allowed the phone to access the files and successfully provision the phone with the particular setting I needed. 

Now the idea is that when a new phone is plugged in, the DHCP option should point the phone to the provisioning server to fetch the configurations. 

I'm a bit confused as to how a new phone would be able to log in to the server to fetch those files. So I figured the username and password would have to be part of the dhcp option string. Now that I found static provisioning works when I add the port number to the IP I also added it to the DHCP option string on the DHCP server. Its still not working. 

So on the server I have the format of ftp://username:password@IP_address:port#. I have also tried the same format but with the domain added ftp://domain\username:password@IP_Address:port#. neither seems to work. 

I have also attached a copy of the config file that I want the 000000000000.cfg file to reference in order to get the provisioning details. 

Please advise if perhaps something in my configurations is incorrect or I am misunderstanding the process. 

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello @Amir.T ,

The FAQ and/or the Admin guides should contain enough information to get you going using a standard port 80 or 443 in case of HTTPS and/or FTP.

You could lower the COPY and CURL to Event 3 and try if you can track down your issue. It may simply be the DHCP server being unable to parse your string.

All examples provided in the linked FAQ post are taken from solutions I tested and verified.

The configuration you are using is a copy&paste of all the settings. These are not required and make the troubleshooting more complex.

I can see the following:

<test device.set="1"
device.prov.serverName.set="1"
device.prov.serverName="10.77.70.46:5540"
device.prov.user.set="1"
device.prov.user="pprovisioning"
device.prov.password="XXXXXXXXXXXXX" />

Is this the Username/Password combination you want to use?

The next step, if nobody else helps you, is to open a Support ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support.

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

If the unit is no longer within the warranty please be prepared to Pay Per Incident / PPI. This is all outlined in detail here

If you do not want to go down this route why do you not look at getting a professional solution rather than doing all of this manually?

Jan 04, 2019 Question: Where can I find details on Poly Provisioning Servers?

Resolution: Polycom has separate Solutions for either on Premise Polycom ResourceManager RPRM or a Cloud Solution called PDMS-E and additional details can be found => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Yes those are the username and password. Of course I edited the password before including it on the forum. 

Thank you for your help anway. 

HP Recommended
So I found the cause of my problem and thought I should at least share it. Thanks to your suggestions to change the log levels for CURL and COPY it allowed me to narrow the problem down. I found that the phone was definitely getting the option 66 that has all the right login information however I could also see that when it actually would try to login to the server it was using its own default username and password. I could also see it was trying to connect on the default FTP port of 21 rather than the one I had set. Reading through the FAQ again for the phone provisioning I was reminded that the phones that come with Skype for business are preconfigured to look for DHCP option 161. The issue is on our network we already have something using option 161 so it would fetch that instead of the option 160 that I wanted it to use. So it ended up connecting to the wrong port. I manually changed the option to 160 and it worked fine. I really wanted to be able to just plug these in out of the box so they could provision themselves but unfortunately with the way these come preconfigured it won't be that simple. We will have to figure out a different way to do this on our end. Thanks again for all your help, Steffen.
HP Recommended

Hello @Amir.T ,

we also support the Vendor Option

Sep 13, 2016 Question: Do Poly Phones support the DHCP Option 60 Vendor Data Format?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

You should be able to set up your DHCP server to only server Polycom phones an option 161.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

HP Recommended

Yes perfect! This is exactly what I needed. Allowed me to set a second option 161 to only target the Polycom phones. 

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.