Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Good morning,

Our environment is Skype for Business 2015 servers and Polycom VVX 300 and 400 phones running UCS 5.4.1.  We are testing out Polycom UCS 5.4.4 and I was hoping to take this time to make a more organized file/folder structure.  When I extracted the 5.4.4 split software it created the usual directory with 000000000000.cfg, multiple ld files, and a Config and languages folder.  I then created CoreDumps, Logs, Profiles, and CompanyConfig folders.  On my 000000000000.cfg file, I specify the following parameters:

CONFIG_FILES="CompanyConfig\compdevice.cfg (contains some customized parameters based on our needs)

LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="Logs\"

USER_PROFILES_DIRECTORY="Profiles\"

CALL_LISTS_DIRECTORY="http://0.0.0.0" (Thank you again Steffen for this one!)

COREFILE_DIRECTORY="CoreDumps\" (this puts all <device>.tar.qz core dump files in one spot)

I'm curious to know if these types of config files can also be forced to write to a different custom directory:

<device>-phone.cfg

<device>-web.cfg

<device>-app.log

<device>-boot.log

<device>-directory.xml

I doubt the cfg files could move since they are more specific versions of 000000000000.cfg that gets referenced in the root directory but I'd love to move the log files out of there.  Right now every so often I'll log onto the server and manually move the app.log and boot.log files to the Logs directory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@jplarsonqg wrote:
I'm curious to know if these types of config files can also be forced to write to a different custom directory:

<device>-phone.cfg

<device>-web.cfg

<device>-app.log

<device>-boot.log

<device>-directory.xml

I doubt the cfg files could move since they are more specific versions of 000000000000.cfg that gets referenced in the root directory but I'd love to move the log files out of there.  Right now every so often I'll log onto the server and manually move the app.log and boot.log files to the Logs directory.

Hello,

You can use the following parameters for the files above:

OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="PhoneConfigurations" -> for <device>-phone.cfg and <device>-web.cfg
CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="Directories" -> for <device>-directory.xml
LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="Logs" -> for <device>-boot.log and <device>-app.log

From my experience, even when you set these parameters in your master configuration file, some phones might still try to upload log files (especially the <device>-boot.log ones) to the root of the provisioning server. To prevent this, just restrict the "write" permission on the root folder (only allow phones to "read" the root folder), this will allow you to have a "clean" root folder. Here are the rights that I typically use for each subfolders:

VVX Provisioning folder permissions

Best regards,

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello jplarsonqg,

welcome back to the Polycom Community.

The community's VoIP FAQ contains this post here:

Oct 7, 2011 Question: What is the relevance of the 000000000000.cfg or <mac>.cfg?

Resolution: Please check => here <=

The above or the Admin Guide should explain all the structures you require.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

@jplarsonqg wrote:

<device>-phone.cfg

<device>-web.cfg

<device>-app.log

<device>-boot.log

<device>-directory.xml

Hello,

You can use the following parameters for the files above:

OVERRIDES_DIRECTORY="PhoneConfigurations" -> for <device>-phone.cfg and <device>-web.cfg
CONTACTS_DIRECTORY="Directories" -> for <device>-directory.xml
LOG_FILE_DIRECTORY="Logs" -> for <device>-boot.log and <device>-app.log

From my experience, even when you set these parameters in your master configuration file, some phones might still try to upload log files (especially the <device>-boot.log ones) to the root of the provisioning server. To prevent this, just restrict the "write" permission on the root folder (only allow phones to "read" the root folder), this will allow you to have a "clean" root folder. Here are the rights that I typically use for each subfolders:

VVX Provisioning folder permissions

Best regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.