Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

When a user is added to Group Call Pickup for another user in Teams, calls coming to the group user do not preserve or display the Caller ID.  Instead, the phone displays “Unknown User is calling.”

This is an issue in both the Poly CCX 500 and Poly CCX 600.

The caller ID does pass through to the Teams desktop client AND to the Teams Android app running on an Android phone.  Notifications received through those platforms include the caller details. It therefore seems that Teams is correctly forwarding the Caller ID details to members of the Group Call Pickup but that the Polycom devices are not properly capturing and displaying this detail.

Here are more details on the setup:

• Primary User is assigned a voice number in Teams Admin centre
  • Using Teams admin centre, go to the "Voice" tab for the Primary User
  • Add Secondary User(s) to the "Group call pickup" option, using the Add people option
  • Set call ring on the Group Call pickup to "Simultaneous ringing"

The Primary User's device receives the incoming call as normal and displays the caller ID.  

The Secondary User(s)' device receives a notification of an incoming call which displays "Unknown User is calling" instead of the Caller ID of the incoming call.

(I am told that Poly won't/can't open tickets to work directly with consumers.  I'm hoping that posting here is a work-around, such that this issue may be addressed!)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am pleased to report that Poly has fixed this issue with their latest firmware update.

Here and in conversation with Poly support by email, it was asserted that there was no issue on Poly's side and that any failure to display the caller ID info would be due to a flaw in the Microsoft Teams Android app.

Microsoft support worked with me for weeks to try and resolve and dealt with Poly engineers who insisted it wasn't their device's problem.

Today, a new firmware update was available for our CCX devices.  After installing it through the Teams Admin centre, the issue has been resolved.

As far as I am aware, the firmware is Poly's area of responsibility, not Microsoft's.

I'm glad the issue is resolved.  I like the CCX phones and look forward to deploying them.  However, I am deeply disappointed in the run-around from Poly who appear to have denied responsibility while pointing the finger at Microsoft... for an issue that was ultimately resolvable from their end.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @steeps 

our CCX Phones run the Microsoft IP Phone Android app from our partner Microsoft so the quickest way to get confirmation or a fix on this would be by reporting this to Microsoft.

Teams has a built-in feature to do this so I suggest you follow this:

July 31. 2019 Question: How can I report Issues with Teams running on a Poly phone in Native Teams mode?

Resolution: Please collect the Logs as shown here => here <=  and submit them to our Partner Microsoft. You will need to work with Microsoft for this via the explained method >here<.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Per MC209280, Microsoft is rolling out an update to the Teams IP Phone app over the next few weeks, so you may want to wait until you can deploy it and see whether it fixes the issue. 

HP Recommended

I am pleased to report that Poly has fixed this issue with their latest firmware update.

Here and in conversation with Poly support by email, it was asserted that there was no issue on Poly's side and that any failure to display the caller ID info would be due to a flaw in the Microsoft Teams Android app.

Microsoft support worked with me for weeks to try and resolve and dealt with Poly engineers who insisted it wasn't their device's problem.

Today, a new firmware update was available for our CCX devices.  After installing it through the Teams Admin centre, the issue has been resolved.

As far as I am aware, the firmware is Poly's area of responsibility, not Microsoft's.

I'm glad the issue is resolved.  I like the CCX phones and look forward to deploying them.  However, I am deeply disappointed in the run-around from Poly who appear to have denied responsibility while pointing the finger at Microsoft... for an issue that was ultimately resolvable from their end.

HP Recommended

Postscript 2: the community support representatives, and front-line people at Poly I've spoken with, are lovely.

The issue is inane corporate policy.  It's management, not frontline.  If there's a route to management so I can tell them what I think of them, please send it my way!

HP Recommended

Postscript 1: found a new bug.

The instructions to access the Web Configuration Utility for the CCX phones say to “enter the phone’s IP address in the address bar of a web browser.”  See, for example, here: https://documents.polycom.com/bundle/ccx-ms-ag-5-9-12/page/t-ucs-sfb-set-the-base-profile-using-the-...

That does not work.

After some trial and error, I found what does work.  Enter “https://” followed by the IP address.  Note the “s”.

When attempting to connect, an error page appears notifying that it’s an invalid certificate.  If I override that error and continue, I’m in.

I’m not sure whether it’s a bug or a feature to require a secure connection without a valid certificate.  If a bug, it should be fixed; if a feature, the instructions should be fixed.

HP Recommended

Hello @steeps ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

We work with our Partner Microsoft to add their builds to our Firmware.

Microsoft supplies us with the Teams IP Phone app and all the other applications like the Company portal which we then bundle into our UC Software.

As an example. the UC Software build which our Partner Microsoft approved via their TAP was UC Software 5.9.13.0306

Within this build Microsoft supplied:

• Version: 1449/1.0.94.2020040801
  • Calling Version: 2020.10.01.1
  • Admin Agent Version: 1.0.0202004080400
  • Company Portal Version: 5.0.4715.0
  • Partner Agent Version: 1.0.15

The build currently available via the admin.teams.microsoft.com portal is supplied and supported by Microsoft.

We also added this to our own support portal so a customer can update this outside of Microsoft Teams.

All the software surrounding Teams is supplied and supported by Microsoft and no additional Poly code goes into these builds. Poly is not responsible for any issue found with the Teams IP Phone app.

In a similar way, Apple or Google would not be responsible for any issues found with the Teams IP phone app running on their devices. Microsoft should be contacted for any issues found.

We just add compatibility to new features via our underlying UC Software.

In order to answer the HTTPs question, this is also based on our partner Microsoft. Microsoft did not like the web interface being enabled as default so we disable this from the factory.

In order to enable this, we only support HTTPs and the certificate used is a Poly factory signed certificate. The "error" you see is only a cosmetic issue and can easily be worked around.

If you still feel you found an issue please open a ticket.

In order to raise a support ticket, you need to work with your Poly reseller as they may need to do this for you.

End Customers are usually unable to open a ticket directly with Poly support. Available End User Poly services offerings are detailed here

If this is some sort of an Internet discounter providing your MAC address or your Poly devices serial will enable us to look up who would be able to support you. This may not be who you purchased the Poly device from.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hi Steffen --

Regarding https, the instructions from Poly do not set out that requirement.  I suggest that they be corrected.  I spent several weeks with Microsoft support trying to connect to the web configuration utility without success and it was only my guessing and attempting the https:// connection, without instruction, that led to discovering the issue!

I linked the Poly instructions previously.  You can see that they specifically instruct a method that will not result in a secured connection.

The precise gripe I have with Poly's corporate policy is that end users may not open tickets.  I did purchase products through a reseller but they are merely that: a vendor.  They are not a support or services provider to my business and insisting that I turn to them for support is silly.

I don't think Poly should be stuck dealing with "turn it off and on again" type support requests but I do think it would help everyone if there were a mechanism for actual issues!  Poly is insisting that I deal with a middleman for support but they refuse to be the middleman to Microsoft when their product breaks!

I understand it's nothing that can be changed, but I'll stand on the fact that if I pay Poly $$$ for a lovely new device with only one function then I expect Poly to take the lead, and responsibility for, fixing it.  

To analogize, if I buy a BMW and have an issue with the transmission, I don't call up Magna International to tell them the part they made broke.  I call BMW and THEY deal with their partners to ensure that the issue is fixed.

Of course I understand that Microsoft publishes the Teams app.  But Poly's phone has one job to do: run the Teams app!  If there is an issue with any piece of the chain, Poly is the one who should be taking ownership.

HP Recommended

Hello @steeps ,

For the HTTPs instructions, I will try and notify our technical writers.

For the rest let me try and explain this to you one final time before I close this post as we are going in circles.

We, Poly, manufacture the CCX Phones with an underlying Android OS.

Partners then qualify their specific application to run on our Phones and therefore we can claim these are certified by them.

You used the example of a car manufacturer who builds the whole car made from different components. 

Just see Poly as the HP, Lenovo, Fujitsu, Apple or Google Androids.

We do not manufacture Microsoft Teams. We only have the App running on our Phone but all support for this has to come from our Partner Microsoft.

We only provide the platform that runs on our devices. If you would find an issue with your Windows 10 software running on an HP PC you would not contact HP for this surely?

We cannot make any changes to Teams as this is not an open Source program. Any change or feature request has to go via Microsoft.

There is nothing we or in this case any other Teams certified manufacturer can do if you find an issue. It will only ever be Microsoft that can fix something. We have no real influence in this just as Apple or Google has nothing to do with the Teams App client running on their devices.

Microsoft can over time update the Teams IP Phone app and other parts of the software via the Teams Admin Portal.

They did this on Friday last week by pushing a whole Firmware, including our underlying UC software, plus the individual additional items I listed in my reply. 

In the future, they can also just update individual parts of this in their own leisure without Poly or other Teams IP Phone manufacturers having to do anything. 

Poly traditionally former Polycom has never really worked with untrained end-users.

We explain this here:

Mar 8, 2012 Question: What kind of support should I expect from the Community?
Clarification: Please check => here <=

End customers can purchase additional levels of support. More details on Poly Support offerings for End Customers can be found => here <=

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.