Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

So, migrated everybody over to Teams native on our M365 Tenant 4 weeks ago.  Happen to update our VVX 601 phones to the latest Certified Firmware for Skype, which is 6.3.1.1465 as noted in the title.

After the migration, we started getting complaints that inbound calls from the PSTN when you pickup, just silence, after 6 seconds or so, it drops the call.  Call back, it works fine.  We could replicate this on multiple phones, including my own by just performing a bunch of calls from my cell phone, and it would pretty quickly within a few calls not connect and go silent/drop.

Rolled back to firmware 6.2.1.1508 on my phone, and it never fails and works every time.  The windows soft client or web client works flawlessly and always answer as well. So we isolated this to the latest firmware.

With that said, contacted Microsoft, sadly they are useless as usual. They claim the VVX 601 isn't supported with Teams. I even gave them the article by Microsoft stated the 3PIP support and natively working until beyond 2023 with supported firmware. 

Anyway, I only found one article that dates back to 11/2020 that states the official firmware supported is 5.9.0.9373 for Skype to work with 3PIP.  But, not sure if this is just outdated and anything later is supposed to work with caveats of course??  All I know is the 6.2.1.1508 does work reliably and we can't replicate the call silence/drop issue anymore.  So I rolled all phones back to this version and complaints have gone away.

Any others with input/testing related to VVX and skype firmware and Teams integration experience appreciated.

Also, how does one go about verifying your are connecting via the 3PIP gateway MS is supposedly routing us through? Can't find any info on that either. Guess it is just magically happening and take their word for it since it connects and works? Yet I do see in the Skype phone web info that lync.com whatever is what it is connecting to. Not sure if that means 3PIP...or if MS is still using lync nomenclature for Teams environment/infrastructure DNS etc.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @Seth777 ,

Welcome back to the Poly Community.

• 6.4.x is not Skype for Business certified
  • 6.3.x is Skype for Business certified

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Apologies...I put the wrong firmware that is causing the issue.  I know 6.4 isn't supported and won't login.

Corrected my first post.

6.3.1.11465 has the issue.

6.2.1.1508 doesn't and works fine.

HP Recommended

Hello @Seth777 ,

there is a difference between what Microsoft certifies and then also certified maintenance versions we have on top of these and we provide the support if issues are found.

The support is only if the unit is in warranty or maintenance.

If 6.2.x works for you is there a need for 6.3.1?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Ok, gotcha on the releases. No, no need for the new version, the one that is working, as long as it keeps working, good enough until, like many customers, we can budget and plan on moving forward and replacing the current phones with new Teams certified phones, or use the soft client only etc...

Thanks

HP Recommended

Wow - This is so great!  We have had this issue on our VVX601s for a long time.  I just downgraded on my phone and will proceed with the others.  So far so good.

BTW - I talked to the product people at Microsoft Teams and they are planning to add support for older phones.  It would be ridiculous to ask companies like us to replace all our phones that work perfectly fine and can work with Teams if MS/Poly want to make it happen.

That said, Meta and Microsoft have announced Teams support for the new Portal Products which are very advanced telecommunications devices.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.