I try to setup a trio to support miracast for Windows 10 computers. After activating wireless display and set authorization type to auto, I started my tests with my Windows 10 laptop. The laptop finds the device by it's defined server name and I could start to connect. After some seconds it fails. The trio 8800 LED's shortly flash up and a short audio noise starts (seems only a power on peak), then it fails.
The trio showed up a wireless display connect dialog I could cancel, but after a timeout it fails and the dialog dissappears. Here i´s the log I have gathered short after the trial while cleared before the test: I was unable to set the suggested debug levels for lc (not found in GUI)
Trio UC is 22.214.171.12438 and the Visual+ is 126.96.36.19938
Log is attached.
After several tests with my notebook, I probably found the issue. The following steps must be done to get Windows 10 working with Miracast - at least in my tests...
1.) Disable or deinstall firewall (or find ports to open up)
2.) Install latest drivers supplied by the hardware manufacturer for the computer, not Windows updates
3.) WLAN driver
4.) Display driver
5.) Configure the Trio 8800 (in my case) for accessing the WLAN by setting of a correct password to connect to the access point.
I have tested this procedure with a HP ProBook 640 G1 and a HP Elitebook Folio 1020 G1.
As a hint for the firewall ports I may suggest the following article: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH234761.html
Thank you for your feedback.
Just to reiterate. The Trio, when Miracast is enabled, does not work on WiFi aka it uses the WiFi part to enable Miracast.
Any previous WiFi details should be deleted aka I suggest a factory restore.
The above means when you use Miracast the WiFi functionality of the Trio is disabled aka exclusive so any old credentials or passwords could affect this..
Polycom Global Services
I have implemented the new required parameter to configure miracast in our provisioning server solution. After factory reseting two additional Trio's I am sure the configuration works.
What I need to figure out is the exact cause which old driver made the problem. But this is hardware vendor dependent.