Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I searched the Polycom knowledge base & forums and didn't find this issue.

I have a pretty simple system - an analog Polycom Soundstation plugged into a normal telephone jack.  A standard DSL modem plugs into that same telephone jack, and connects to a laptop computer via ethernet cable.

When we are using Skype on the laptop, any incoming or outgoing call on the Polycom kills our Skype connection.  When we re-initiate the Skype connection, then we can use the Polycom and Skype simultaneously.  But, when the Polycom call is disconnected (either by us or the other party), that kills our Skype connection again.  This happens 100% of the time!!

Is this a known Polycom issue?  Do incoming/outgoing calls on the Polycom cause a voltage drop on the telephone line, causing the DSL modem to stumble??  This must be an electrical issue, because the Polycom is a standard PSTN telephone and doesn't generate any IP traffic.

Thank you for any comments!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello Jeff,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

I am unaware in what country you reside but in the UK for example a Broadband ADSL Connection always comes with a Splitter that separates the Phone Frequencies (~ 300 => 3400 Hz ) from the Broadband Frequencies.

Missing this filter would result in a similar scenario as described by yourself. You could also just plug another analog phone into the same line and the same issue should appear.

Maybe best to check with the line Provider to get some assistance.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, Steffen.

DSL providers in the US often include 3 or 4 splitters when they ship a modem.  I will double check mid-week to see if the splitter is still installed on the Polycom; however, my experience with PSTN telephones is that they broadcast static and noise in the absence of a DSL splitter, and our Polycom phone sounds crystal-clear.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.