Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I realize there are a handful of similar messages on the board. The one piece of additional information I'm offering is that, in my case, the unit says "Call ended" then goes back to a "Ready" state, LEDs go dark, however the line is still held open.

Does anyone know if this points to the wall unit since it seems to be a physical issue (i.e. the electrical circuit is being kept open) since the phone "thinks" it has hung up the call? Other suggestions most welcome too 🙂

This is a model 2201-16200-601, analog line, in the USA.

Unfortunately I just purchased this unit on eBay and I feel I need to exhaust all reasonable troubleshooting before I move on to returning it. I was so excited to get the darned thing too 😞

Much appreciated

Geoff.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

The SoundStation 2 is a 'speaker phone' with no handset to place back on the cradle hookswitch.  If you do not hit the hangup button the line will stay 'open' if the other side hangs up.

HP Recommended

I have two similar issues with SoundStation 2

This is a model 2201-16200-601, analog line, in the USA.

I have fios at my house and my old AT&T phone worked fine but I wanted a much better speakerphone. 

My two major problems are

1) The Flash button does not seem to work (the button with a symbol of 3 people)

2) Polycomm will not hang up the call despite pressing the large button with symbol of a phone handset

For 1) I checked the flash settings and it is set for 600 ms.  I think this is fine.  I did not try making this a lower value yet. I tried this numerous times.  The same exact phone jack line works fine with 3 way calling via the flash button on my old phone.   I cannot figue it out.

For 2) The polycomm unit seems to hang on to the line after I attempt to disconnect the call by hanging up the line by pressing the large phone icon button after my call ends.  I tried holding down that button for 5 seconds.  I tried disconnecting the RJ-11 jack that goes into the power adapater of my unit, and even powering down the polycom unit itself.  For som reason often the polycomm is holding the line "up".  My other phone extensions in the house on the same line then get a fast busy.

Is there anyway to force polycomm 2 to hang up the line?????   My most reliable way seems to pull out my rj-11 cord from the polycomm adapter.

I am more than frustrated.   I did a lot of research before I bought this phone.

Is there a firmware update I can apply to this somehow?????

What makes this more frustrating I used to work for AT&T Bell Labs back in their glory days and I know how phone networks and equipment work.

I appreciate any help

Thanks James

PS I did download and read the manual too.  Nothing has helped me.

HP Recommended

I just spent a few more hours on this and no luck.  I tried changing the flash time from 600 ms to 300 ms and I never have been able to make a 3 way call.  Whenever I hit the 3 person icon button I never get a dial tone and when I dial a phone # at the point, the person on the original line heres the DTMF pulses.

I tried changing the phone to another analog jack in the house that works fine and I still can't get it to work.

I still have the issue of not being able to hang up the call to free up the line.  The polycomm often keeps the line "hung up".

I contacted the seller and let him know of these issues and gave a link to this forum.  I think the unit is defective.

I googled around some more and looked for firmware upgrades but can't find any.  I'm really at a loss.

James

HP Recommended

Hello James,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

Is this a new unit or a second hand unit ?

If this is a new unit please RMA the unit, if second hand or from an Internet auction house then you seems to have been sold a defective unit.

An end Customer cannot upgrade the unit and I have not had such case in my 6 years with Polycom as you describe.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

James,

I'm the OP above. Your experience with the failure to drop the line sounds very similar to mine. In my case it was a defective unit which was replaced by the supplier—no problems since then. I can't speak to the Flash button issues since I never tried that on the defective unit so I can't say if there was a relationship between the two.

I'd like to commend Mr. Baier for at least understanding the issue—somehwhat better than the spectacularly non-perceptive response I got back in 2012. I literally Laughed Out Loud when I read it at the time 🙂

I hope you can get your unit replaced okay.

Cheers,
Geoff.

HP Recommended

Thanks so much to both of you for responding.   I bought this "refurbished" on Amazon from a seller that has 6 stars.  So I took a bit of a gamble to save a hundred plus dollars.  I contacted the seller again this morning (last night was just a heads up) and confirmed that the unit is defective and I'm requesting either a refund or replacement.  That will take 2 to 3 business days to process.  

This was driving me batty!!!!   I'm  very very much inclined to insist on a refund and then just bite the bullet and buy a brand new one.

Back in 1992 or 1993 or so when I worked AT&T Bell Labs in Holmdel NJ, polycom sent me one of their first speaker phones to try out and test.  I was amazed then and now how good it was.    So I always had my eye on them.  So when folks complained that they could not hear me from my home office speakerphone I knew I had to get one.  

Thanks again to both of you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.