Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Hello All, I have checked the community thoroughly, but not found a solution using my chosen search string, so apologies if this appears a duplication of the problem. I have been using a Soundstation 2 for about 3 years on different domestic BT lines having moved house in the period. The problems I have suffered on a regular basis are calls dropping, with the time thresholds ranging from about 6 minutes to 10 minutes when the calls drop. During the calls there are never any problems with either hearing or being heard, but the calls inevitably fail on more than 95% of the time without warning. The fact that the problem has happened on different lines makes me wonder if the problem lies with the SS2 unit rather than the BT lines. I don't know if it is even possible to flash the firmware on the SS2 - but it's certainly something I have not done. I'd appreciate any possible solutions, thanks. Andy
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello Andy,

welcome to the Polycom Community.

There is no possibility for an end customer to flash a different firmware and in my experience there are no software issues that would cause a dropped call.

Have you checked all your connectors are correct and working ? Does the phone drop the line itself completely ?

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Hello Steffen,

Many thanks for your response and Welcome!

In answer to your questions:

• Yes, the connections are all correct and working
  • When the call drops abruptly, the phone itself does not shut-off; I have to manually "hang-up" using the "Phone" button as used to place or answer a call.

As I mentioned in original post, this unit is being used on a residential line.  What I neglected to say was that I have a (Gigaset) DECT base-station/phone system (& previously a BT DECT base-station) plugged into another extension socket.  Using that system, my wife regularly makes calls to her sister lasting upwards of 35 minutes, but the calls have never dropped using the Gigaset or BT units.  This only happens on the Polycom unit.

It's also true that while I am using the Polycom unit in my office, the calls are not cut off by someone else in the house trying to access the line.

Should I assume from these additional observations that the Polycom is incompatible with residential lines that have other (DECT) phone systems connected?

I have also re-checked the settings in: Admin setup>Phone System>Caller ID which is set to British Telecom, although I understand that the CLID settings should have no effect on cutting off a call.  If nothing else, it confirms that the phone is compatible with BT!

Many thanks for any further advice.

Kind regards

Andy

HP Recommended
Hello Andy, the phone is compatible with residential lines but it depends how the in-house wiring is ran i.e. if a proper phone cable is used or some extension. It can also depend on adapter where the line is plugged into the socket or the possible usage of a broadband filter. When the Phone drops the call is the other person still connected i.e. the other DECT phone can access the line and still speak to the person or do you receive a dial tone and then need to hangup? I would test the unit in the master socket without any extension cables connected. Best Regards Steffen Baier
------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended
Hello Steffen, Thank you for the suggestions. I have investigated this problem with the SS2 plugged directly into the master socket for the last 4/5 days, both with and without any extension cables connected (therefore clearly without the DECT phones in the equation) but I cannot replicate the problem. Given this outcome, my suspicion is that the problem must be a function of the extension sockets rather than the SS2; although I don't understand why the DECT phones do not drop calls in the way the SS2 does. Also, as I have not been able to replicate the problem on the master socket, I have not been able to establish if the call drops completely, or if it can be retrieved via one of the DECT phones. It is even more puzzling because the extension sockets in both properties I have experienced the matter were wired professionally at the time of the house construction - they were both new builds with the extensions requested from the developers. I guess I will just have to put this down to an intermittent drawback of the whole set up, given that I cannot give any direct evidence of the problem being exclusively down to the SS2. Thanks for your assistance throughout, nonetheless. Regards Andy
HP Recommended

I just noticed this thread.

I am having exactly same issue -- line dropping during a call.

If I dial and the call drops I have to dial again the call has dropped and cannot be resumed on another handset. If someone phones me and the sound drops out, I "replace" the receiver and pick up and resume.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.