Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hello there,

I picked up a second-hand Soundstation 2 (with display) for our small office, and most of the time it is working fine, but on some conference calls, the volume of some people's voices seems to vary quite wildly.  I have looked in the manual and the only thing relevant seems to be the "Short Silences" troubleshooting section, but that doesn't seem to describe what we experience, and I couldn't see anything on the forum.  Apologies if I've overlooked something obvious.

Here are the key points:

• The volume when we are speaking seems fine: we have had no complaints from others in conference calls about volume and ringing directly from a mobile outside the office sounds absolutely fine, so the line doesn't seem to be the problem
  • The speakers themselves are working: I have run the diagnostic tests on speaker volume and all is well
  • There are no obvious defects on any part of the system, and although the phone line is run over around 10 metres of extension cable to reach the conference table, using a normal handheld phone on this line does not cause any volume issues
  • When conference calling, particularly with overseas clients, sometimes the volume of their speech is low (possibly due to low gain) and it almost sounds as if the DNR is picking up their voices as background noise and repressing the sound (if this is even possible); louder voices do not seem to be particularly affected
  • We have never had volume problems with these clients before on normal telephones and so on

If my suspicion is correct about DNR, is there any way to disable it, temporarily or otherwise?  If that is not how the DNR works at all, then how can I troubleshoot the issue?  Could increasing the gain using some kind of booster help?  I have considered trying to use a shorter phone line cable among other things, but given that it would put our phoneline out of action for several minutes at a time, I would at least like some pointers towards the correct tests first!

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear them.  Equally if more information on the setup would be useful, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to respond.  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Any offers?  We are still getting this issue on conference calls.  Even if the answer is that there is a hardware problem, it would be good to know!

HP Recommended

It's been a few months, so I'm hoping somebody might be able to shed some light on this?  We still have the unit but we've reverted to using a normal handheld and it looks like we're going to be selling it on at this point unless somebody can help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.