Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Polycom Employee

This week, Polycom is demonstrating integration with IBM's Patient Care and Insight (IPCI) application at the IOD Conference in Las Vegas. We are demonstrating how healthcare practitioners can use video collaboration to share, review and discuss patient information remotely and securely. The demonstration is integrating video calls inside their browser from the application they're already using.

Why is this important? Aside from improving the quality of patient care and reducing costs, this is the first example of productized integration of Polycom's open APIs into an existing web application. What are we doing with IPCI and what does this mean for the future...? (Hint: You could build this integration yourself!)

Just as a reminder, back in October 2012, Polycom announced Polycom RealPresence CloudAxis and our strategy around making our open APIs available to integrate into other applications. This integration with IPCI is the first (of many) examples of how Polycom (or a developer) is integrating video into a web application. Whether it's using Polycom's CloudAXIS and the RealPresence Platform, or some smaller set of components, this integration shows what's possible.

With IPCI, Polycom has made it simple to have doctors (or nurses, care coordinators or other health professionals) connect with patients over audio and video collaboration. The integration of CloudAXIS and IPCI adds a "meet now" button together with a scheduling system integration to allow appointments to be scheduled with voice and video. This is great for mobility challenged patients, the elderly, etc. and can bring together the entire care team (including remote family members) via point-to-point or multipoint video calls using PCs, mobile device or any other standards based endpoint. All from a context aware "Meet Now" button.

11-5-2013 10-00-26 AM.png

IPCI, is all about analytics. It uses the IBM Watson engine (yes,the one from Jeopardy) and calculates if someone is likely to need to be admitted or readmitted to the hospital. The tool helps care coordinators identify people who are more likely to get sick before they're actually sick. Alternatively, it identifies what things people who are sick can do to get better faster and keep them out of the hospital.

For a simple example, the analytics engine can look at my last several exams and see that my blood pressure has gone up 3-5 points per year over the last few years. It knows that if that trend continues I'll have high blood pressure. High blood pressure can lead to aneurysm, coronary artery disease, kidney failure and stroke, etc. With the analytics engine's prompting (and the doctors good judgment) they could assign me recorded video training that will help me identify hidden salt in my diet (to help lower my blood pressure) or to encourage me to exercise, etc. These videos are integrated into IPCI and hosted on Polycom RealPresence Media Manager and linked back into the analytics engine so it knows if a video was actually played by the patient. Watched or not, the care team can take appropriate actions based on how I'm doing as a patient.

With a goal to improve patient outcomes and reduce costs, IPCI, together with Polycom's integration just could be the next big thing in healthcare. Learn more about IPCI and Polycom's integration. Stop by IBM IOD through November 7th and see a live demo.

Interested in video enabling your own application? Learn more about the Polycom Developer Program.