Plantronics + Polycom. Now together as Poly Logo

Email Protocols - what can I turn off?

SOLVED
Adam in DC
Valued Contributor

Email Protocols - what can I turn off?

Looking for best practices to reduce footprint around email protocols as they relate to meeting rooms and RealConnect and Trios and Group Series.

• It appears that EWS is required.
  • I assume MAPI is required.  
  • Can POP and IMAP be turned off?
  • What about SMTP?

Thanks.  

Message 1 of 4
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jschertz
Polycom Employee

Re: Email Protocols - what can I turn off?

Adam, I'm not quite sure what the scope of this question is but in terms of a Trio connecting to a mailbox in Exchange Server or Exchange Online or the OTD service connecting on behalf of a device like a Group Series or Studio X series device the only protocol used is HTTPS via Exchange Web Services (EWS).  The devices do not use SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc. 

-----------
Jeff Schertz - Principal Microsoft Solutions Architect [Blog]

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
jschertz
Polycom Employee

Adam, I'm not quite sure what the scope of this question is but in terms of a Trio connecting to a mailbox in Exchange Server or Exchange Online or the OTD service connecting on behalf of a device like a Group Series or Studio X series device the only protocol used is HTTPS via Exchange Web Services (EWS).  The devices do not use SMTP, POP, IMAP, etc. 

-----------
Jeff Schertz - Principal Microsoft Solutions Architect [Blog]

Notice: This community forum is not an official Poly support resource, thus responses from Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge. If you need immediate and/or official assistance please open a service ticket through your proper support channels.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
Adam in DC
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jeff.  My motivation was around security hygiene - what can I turn off that I don't need.  That's exactly what you answered.  

Message 3 of 4
Adam in DC
Valued Contributor

I had a second thought.  Though the Poly device may not require MAPI - I assume MAPI will still be necessary in order to see a calendar in Outlook for desktop.  If you turn off MAPI - then you'll only be able to manage the calendar via the web.  That may not be suitable for many orgs.  

Message 4 of 4