Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I just purchased an iPad3 and downloaded the Polycom App.  I've tried calling the test sites and the calls go through fine but I am not receiving sound or video from the far end.   I also just downloaded telepresence m100 for my windows XP based pc and have the same issue.  One difference with m100 is that  some of the outgoing call recipients can view my video and hear me but I can't receive the audio and video in return. I'm not very technical, so I'll need some step by step help.  thanks

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Sounds like you have a firewall that is blocking the incomming video. Perhaps it is the one in XP if you are not behind an actual physical firewall. 

Not sure about the New iPad yet.  I am waiting for an answer. 

HP Recommended

Early reports are that it is working however we are still in a testing phase.  The new iPad uses the same OS,  it was just a processor upgrade.  Seems logical Apple would not kill all those apps out there. 

HP Recommended
Having the same issue with the iPad 3 over 4g LTE. Connects to the test sites but no audio/video on the other side. Same thing happens using external Verizon MiFi or via our company WiFi.
HP Recommended

You are most likely using non-routable internal IP addresses. The ipad and HDX units will need to be registered to a gatekeeper and dialing will need to be done via an E.164 address

HP Recommended

Ken:  Thanks for the advice but I have no idea how to do what you suggest.  Is there someone I can call? 

HP Recommended

You should to talk to your corporate IT department. They know your corporate network infrastructure better than I do. 

The RealPresence mobile app and the m100 were designed with a corporate video infrastructure in mind. Don't forget it is a free app so working without the corporate network video devices for collaboration requires network routing knowledge. The app download states:   The Polycom RealPresence Mobile is designed for Enterprise deployments and requires Polycom RealPresence infrastructure CMA.

A gatekeeper is a device that will keep track of the IP address of your mobile device when the IP address changes as you move from one wireless network to another.  The mobile device will register with the gatekeeper as will all of your other video devices such as the HDX systems. You would then just dial another device by a name or number from your directory similar to dialing from the phone book of your cell phone.

Think of it as if everybody’s cell phone number would change randomly and there was a device that would keep track of those changes and always be sure the number was associated with the name. This is what a gatekeeper does for video devices.

The same holds for the m100.  Say you are in a hotel with your laptop. The hotel wireless router assigns a random IP address to the laptop. Now this works fine for Web browsing and e-mail but will not work for any H.323 based video system.

The IP address given by the hotel (or any router) is a 'private' address and cannot be dialed directly. You are able to call out and send video however the system you are calling from is telling the system you called what its IP address is. Unfortunately that number is a 'private' number and will not 'receive' any incoming video. This is why you can call out and they will see you but you cannot see them.  

The 3G cell network works the same way.  As you move from cell to cell the IP address changes.  You need a gatekeeper to keep track of those changes.

As stated in the App Store download the RealPresence Mobile is designed to work with Polycom CMA which is a gatekeeper plus a lot more. On the other side a product like the Polycom VBP can be set up to act as a very basic gatekeeper.

I suggest contacting your Polycom reseller or sales rep for an analysis of your business needs.

Thanks…

HP Recommended

same problem here.  my iPad (3) connects when i dial to the office, and they can see and hear me.  but i cannot see or hear them (app shows 100% video and audio packets lost).  this is done through a wifi connection, so not moving and changing IP address within the call.  

i direct dialed the IP address of the office Polycom unit, as is typically done by our other offices.  there is no server or gatekeeper.  and no firewall, as they can see and hear me on my iPad.

this has a huge potential for our office.  all four offices have the polycom system.  so if the partners while traveling can conference in, this would be a big deal for the office.

appreciate any help!

HP Recommended

sgecko,  As I said in my previous post, the iPad will get a non-routable private address from its wireless router. Unless you have some sort of a gatekeeper to register to, two way video traffic will not happen. The RealPresence Mobile was not designed to support NAT (network address translation). It was designed to work with a corporate video infrastructure which includes a CMA gatekeeper device.

The first line on the Apple App Store for the RPM states:

The Polycom RealPresence Mobile is designed for Enterprise deployments and requires Polycom RealPresence infrastructure(CMA 6.0.1 and higher).

HP Recommended

Hi Ken, any help is greatly appreciated.

I, too, have an iPad3 (At&t) lacking functionality regarding the Polycom app.  It shows that it connects to our office Polycom but nothing happens, no video/audio feed from the far end.

The one acceptance I take with your previous statements is that my iPhone4s (Verizon) has the ability connect and have a full-functioning video-conference session with the same Polycom system.  I say "has the ability" only because it doesn't work with 100% accuracy.  Typically, if I connect and hang-up then call back (5, 10, 30 minutes later...it doesn't matter how long), it doesn't work.  I've identified that if I restart the iPhone, it will always connect on the first call (subsequent calls DO connect sometimes).

So, what's the difference between the iPad3 and the iPhone4s in terms of Polycom app functionality.  A straight answer is fine with me, even if it's "iPad3 is not yet supported for the Polycom app's current version", as I'm just troubleshooting this for my boss.

- Both devices are using their cellular data connections (WiFi powered off)

- Both devices have 10.x.x.x IP addresses handed out from their respective cell providers

- Both devices have the same iOS version

- Both devices have the same Polycom app settings

- Both devices are dialing the same static IP address to our Polycom system

- I ran a connection speed test on both devices (thinking the iPad3 was being starved by At&t's data speeds) and the At&t iPad3  had no less than 3 times the upload and download rates of the Verizon iPhone4s

Please advise.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.