Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Polycom VVX601
Running against Skype for Business Online
Version 5.6.0.17325 (latest on Microsoft servers)

If a user does a search, it will return a contact from the Global Address List.
If they open up the contact, they can select from the various email address and home / work / mobile numbers the contact might have.
If a user does not open up the contact and just hits dial, the VVX will attempt to call the contact’s email address.  This will fail.

Can we make it so that hitting dial on a contact defaults to their phone number rather than email address?

Just to be clear…
I’m talking about contacts in the organisation’s Global Address List, not a user’s own contacts.
I’m talking about external “Mail Contacts” in the Global Address List, not users within our organisation.
It's the “ExternalEmailAddress” parameter you would get from Get-MailContact that it is incorrectly attempting to call.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @Westyfield2,

I just added this to the Skype for Business FAQ:

Sep 06, 2018 Question: How can I force my Phone to dial the Phone Number of a Contact rather than the Email / URI?

Resolution: UC Software 5.5.2 added a feature as explained => here <= to memorize the choice

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.
So we have to call each contact on each handset manually before it will remember? 
When you PowerShell GetMailContact or go to Edit Contact on the Exchange Admin Center web interface, the returned ExternalEmailAddress starts with “SMTP:” which should be pretty clear it’s not for SIP calling...

HP Recommended

I have tested following the new Knowledgebase article and it doesn’t work.

After searching for a contact, pressing and holding does nothing.  To see all the number of the contact I must press “View” from the bottom (Dial / Encoding / View / Add to Contacts).

I then scroll down to select a phone number and press “Dial”.  The contact is dialled on their phone number.  I end the call and return home.

I then search for the same contact again, and this time I press “Dial”.  The phone number I selected previously is not remembered, it attempts to call the contact on their email address, and the call fails.

As per the OP, I'm on Version 5.6.0.17325, running against Skype for Business Online, and it's a Global Address List search I'm doing not a user’s own contacts.

HP Recommended

Hello @Westyfield2,

I have added the detail that this is only applicable for Favorite contacts to the linked post.

Please ensure to provide some feedback if this reply has helped you so other users can profit from your experience.

Best Regards

Steffen Baier

Polycom Global Services

------------------------------------------------
Notice: I am an HP Poly employee but all replies within the community are done as a volunteer outside of my day role. This community forum is not an official HP Poly support resource, thus responses from HP Poly employees, partners, and customers alike are best-effort in attempts to share learned knowledge.
If you need immediate and/or official assistance for former Poly\Plantronics\Polycom please open a service ticket through your support channels
For HP products please check HP Support.

Please also ensure you always check the General VoIP , Video Endpoint , UC Platform (Microsoft) , PSTN
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.